Sand Sifting Goby Poll?

Tanked_Life

Non-member
How many have them in their reef tank (mostly those of us who keep frags on the sand) and do they move the sand on the corals or are careful enough not too?

When I first added mine, a dragon goby he seemed to stay in 1 spot for a long time and would bury whatever he was next to but now seems to sift the entire tank equally so he still creates small sandstorms which get on anything nearby but not moving lots of sand that bury the corals anymore. They are not careful about anything, they have no concern for the coral.

I have had my orange spot watchman gobie for 5 years and does a great job on sand. Never bothers fangs on sand.

I had an orange spot and he sure kept the sand clean but constantly buried my corals on the sand. I eventually gave him away

Mine is never and issue.. but my aggregate is much coarser than most... an it was planned to keep the sand storms to a minimum... I wouldn't want a tank with out one...they keep enough detritus in suspension that I don't need to vacume.. that said... I like to see all types of marine life,not just corals.. fish are an important part of my display.. and the personality that they bring is a 10 on any entertainment scale...if I were as set on having only corals I wouldn't have any fish at all and only a few snails...on another note..my Flame angel has done far more damage to my LPS than Gilligan( my orange spot) ever did..

I have a yellow watchman. He only makes a pile where his home is which tends to be in one place. The rest of his sifting is one mouthfull at a time. Keeping the sand fairly level. While he occasionally gets a little sand on my plate or acans its nothing they can't handle.

Back