Sand-sifting Starfish?

I have a sandsifting star in my 29g. I got him maybe 3 weeks back. My tank is only a few months old (rock was cured for much longer) and it is doing a GREAT job at turning over the sandbed and cleaning up. They supposedly don't grow all that large. While the star isn't the most attractive denizen of the tank, it occasionally acts quirky by climbing up the glass to the water's edge, and letting go. My 5 year old son really likes it.. and occasionally I'll let him hold the star (underwater in the tank). Really the only tank critter I have that he can hold.. thus why he likes it.

I kinda wish mean didnt die It was a cool addition to my little tank but now I have my 72 bowfront tank that I want to put two in it . Or is that too many ?

ONE is too many even in a 120g+ IMHO.

They grow to as big as one foot so IDK why so many people are misinformed that they stay small. I don't think starfish should be kept in aquariums. Atleast not these guys...

I'd recommend one sand sifting star to someone like... Oh IDK... Boston Aquarium? Lol.

Welp, still haven't found him yet.

I did however pick up a fighting conch from CRA today. He really doesn't seem to move around much or do much, aside from him trying to attack me with his little claw thingy when I moved him into the tank (after a few attempts and dropping him cuz his claw thing hit me and I got startled).

He's about 1.5" so he's basically "hermit-proof" though I have many empty shells for my hermits anyways which they swap out like socks.

Maybe these guys are more-so nocturnal? IDK i'll wake up tomorrow and see if he's done much of anything. There's PLENTY of diatom for him to eat, thus why I got him. Yet I saw him go over to a piece of live rock and clean the edge. Like really, freakin' thing... Lol.

I also got a small turbo snail and all I can say is ::

For a "small" turbo snail, he looked tiny in the big tank at the store, but in my 29g tank he's a mammoth! He cleaned off a rock the size of a melon in like half an hour if that. Lol. Guy is a beast. I was worried about getting one before cuz they're just so damn big but I can always return it for a smaller one if he gets too big plus all my corals are more than secured down so that wasn't an issue.

Wish this bleepin' star would come on out.
I've seen 3 bristleworms today that liked to come out completely and skim over the rocks for food.

On another note... My frogspawn has been seeming to recover a bit and start opening a bit more during the day again. Still nowhere near full size yet though...

Yep. Just gotta catch that starfish. And then I get to wait and see what the next issue with the tank will be, because with SW if it's not one thing it's always another. Lol.

Now my darn betta fish in his 2.5g is getting severe fin rot and likes to sleep on the gravel. Poor guy. Only a year and a few months old too. Was EXTREMELY healthy up until this month. Gonna treat him and hope he turns around. My flame gourami and african dwarf frogs are doing great though. And my black lab. And 2 guinea pigs. And black moor goldfish.

So many pets... So many pets...

Back