Scars from an green carpet nem attack!

johnnyb

Non-member
Sunday I noticed my carpet nem was tunneling under my live rock. He managed to make the rock move and a piece fell on him. So I dove in and moved the rock. I wanted to get him out from under the rock so I could make the rock more secure. But as I found out he was dug in under the sand and stuck to the glass. It took me about 20 min. but I managed to remove him. Not knowing the whole time he was wrapped around my wrist. . As soon as I got my arm out of the water I knew though. He got me pretty good. Any one else alergic to nems? nem attack.JPG2days after attack.JPGfish8.JPG
First one is right after second is today 5 days later and third is the suspect in the alleged attack

I have gotten marks like that from several of the inhabitants of my tank. Never from a carpet nem, but have been tagged by RBTA.

Some people tolerate it better than others. I had almost the same situation with my blue haddoni that moved my entire left island to the front glass, luckily it was stable enough that it did not topple over. I found out that Im really not bothered by my carpet, also when I had my GBTAs i never used gloves when removing splits and did not have any reactions from them either.

Thats a pretty green carpet, how long have you had it?

I got it with the tank 1 and 1/2 years ago.(craigslist) I had a reaction the night I moved the tank he was wrapped so tight to my wrist I couldnt get him off. He stung me pretty bad that night and I couldnt move my fingers for 2 days. I have been hit a couple times feeding that one and my pink carpetcoral4.JPG

But it hasnt been bad. I realy wasnt thinking when I tried to move this one.

I love the blue carpets and have been searching every where for a blue gigantea or a nice haddoni. do you have any pics of yours?

This is the most recent one of my blue haddoni the kids call it the Smurf
DSC_0223.jpg

I just read your post in that selling thread about how you acquired the green one, thats a nice score. I to was looking for a gig, really did not care about the color but never found a healthy one local so when I found that haddoni I grabbed

Last edited:
I've been stung by my carpet I it's never been that bad I guess I'll be aware of what I'm doing when I put my hands in the tank mines a light Green carpet
c6e4c99b-6b9e-e396.jpg

I would freak out if my fingers went numb. Hope your arm is healing well. Those carpets are beautiful. I have never owned one, are they hard to keep?

I wouldnt say hard to keep. I feed each of them about 6 pieces of krill twice a week. Sometimes by hand sometimes my clown fish will do the delivery for me. I usually throw a couple pieces in if the clown comes and gets them to bring to them i let him fo it if he decides to eat them or feed my other nems. them I reach in and feed them. I have heard some horror stories of people losing fish in them though. I haven't yet ....knock on wood

Back