Scientists try to regrow a dying coral reef 25 times faster than nature

Do people in the hobby not know that cutting/fragging/trimming of corals increases growth rates?

Do people in the hobby not know that cutting/fragging/trimming of corals increases growth rates?

Sure does. Or at least it looks like it to me. Few frags in my tank came with the tips fresh cut. I notice the fastest growth on that area. Shooting out a new tip and corallites. Ive wondered if it's because it's just an easy area to notice the growth on.

Sure does. Or at least it looks like it to me. Few frags in my tank came with the tips fresh cut. I notice the fastest growth on that area. Shooting out a new tip and corallites. Ive wondered if it's because it's just an easy area to notice the growth on.

Not just easier to notice. Take a colony and just trim the tips of one part, if your tank is healthy and the food/light for growth is available for your corals they will outgrow the rest of the coral. But it won't if your corals are not healthy and the light and food are not there. if texture is good, color solid and you have a good leading growth edge at the base of the coral you should see real result. If the texture is poor and your leading edge is spotty or receding then you might not get any result or even more receding.

Back