Scolymia discussion

freakit

Non-member
Hello everyone. I have heard that scoly's only live for a couple of years. I have also heard that they live to be 10 years plus. What are your personal experiences with them good or bad? How long have you owned them with what kind of care? Thanks.

I am interested in this too, I have never owned a scoly and have read the same things. Good question bump.

I cant really comment too much on this, I have only had my Scoly about 5 months, when i bought it It was about softball sized when fully expanded so it wasn't a baby.

I keep it on the sand bed in center of the tank and it seems happy, inflates quite large during the day and displays feeders at night. I only feed about once a week.

So far so good. Seems pretty hardy

i had 6 of them for 5 years + never direct feed them.. they did great under my hallides... put in leds and think they where to bright for them and had to hide them under edges of rock but they where never as happy.. lost them all in a tank crash.

Well i have 4 scolys and they do great for me. One i have had for 2 years and the other 3 are just 3 months 2 months and a month in my tank they do great!!! I personally have herd the myth or a dinner plate 10 year old scoly but never seen or seen pictures... so i will just keep on letting mine grow and see what happens.. mine get food once a week... soon i am taking two scolys to meet the saw!!just very nervous! these are a really the best corals in my eyes no other coral have better color....

Last edited:
I guess the challenge with scoly's is that unlike many coral they're not colonizing and reproduce sexually, so once you have an adult Scoly it can really only go down hill from there.

Maybe I'm wrong here - I just read an article that suggests Scolymia will bud and produce a new head.

Last edited:
Just throw it out there that I saw many cases of misidentification of scolly. A lot if them just meat coral which are very hardy and was popular many years ago.

Back