should i/how often clean my protein skimmer?

Celticreefer

Non-member
hey guys,

i just added new live rock today (around 75lbs) to my 75 g tank. it has been running before this for a week without anything inside. i have whole set up done including a octupus protein skimmer. i notice that just after a couple hours of putting the LR in that the water in the skimmer looks dark yellowish. i asusme this is not a problem but now i am just curious. should i ever clean my protein skimmer? and if so, how often do people usually clean their skimmers?

Once a week depending on what kind of skimmer your using.
Cleaning and removing the gunk in the entire skimmer column including the collection cup. I'd also give it and the pump a vinegar soak every several months. A clean skimmer will operate remove more when compared to a dirty one.

I pop the top off once a week and clean the riser and skimmer cup.Once every few weeks I take the pump out and inspect it,Then I clean the calcium build up in the venturi intake.

best way

what is the best way to clean the top part of the skimmer every week? i assume just wash off with a wet towel or rag? when you do this should you empty out the top part of the skimmer or just simply clean it?

Well,my ASM G2 skimmer breaks apart at the neck.The whole riser and cup come off.I empty that and then wash it out using my hands and running water.It's big enough for me to fit my hand inside without issue.

the collection cup should come off. Just dump it in the sink and clean it once a week. The inside of my collection cup gets full of gunk and it loses it's effectiveness.

Back