Skimmer pump crapped out -help, help, help!!

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
You may have seen my thread on how I've been having problems with my Reef Octopus skimmer.
I forget the model number. Not important right now.
The pump that came with it isn't working right.
The skimmer hasn't overflowed in a while, and algae has been going crazy in the show tank.

Went down to investigate. I began closing the gate valve to see if I could increase production, but the skimmer will not raise the water level in the riser tube unless the valve is completely closed. Then the water level just overflows, of course.

So I took the skimmer out and cleaned all parts. I made sure there are no blocks in the airline - there are none.
I made sure the needle wheel is spinning, and it is.
I thoroughly cleaned it with tap water and my hand.

I re-assembled the skimmer and put it back in the sump.
When I plugged it back in, the pump still isn't working to full capacity. With the gate valave wide open, the pump is no pushing much water and there's not much air going in. Double checked the air line, and still no clogs.
I blew through the air intake line and bubbles come burping out of the pump's water intake area.
I checked the suction in the water intake area, and there's not much power there.

What the hell is going on. I need skimming badly right now.

Please help!

I this a Bubble Blaster pump? The first run of those had issues and they replaced a lot of them. Mine was replaced at six months.

Mine was replaced as well. I am not saying that its OK, but the Bubble Blaster pumps dont move water like a conventional pump. Although you should have alot of suction at the intake. Thats why water level, and consistency is key for these to work. With a small change in the water pressure you can overflow these. I know this has been an ongoing issue. If I lived closer I would stop by and take a look, maybe another set of eyes on it could figure something out. Or drop it by a fellow reefers house and try it in their system?

Good Luck Derek

hey moe i have a old beckett skimmer you can use its ugly but works great. not using it anyways.

Mine was replaced as well. I am not saying that its OK, but the Bubble Blaster pumps dont move water like a conventional pump. Although you should have alot of suction at the intake. Thats why water level, and consistency is key for these to work. With a small change in the water pressure you can overflow these. I know this has been an ongoing issue. If I lived closer I would stop by and take a look, maybe another set of eyes on it could figure something out. Or drop it by a fellow reefers house and try it in their system?

Good Luck Derek
Crud, sounds like the pump needs replacing. I wish you did live closer. Heh.

hey moe i have a old beckett skimmer you can use its ugly but works great. not using it anyways.

I might have to take you up on that. Small space in my sump, however. Is the skimmer's footprint big? If so, might not work.

heres a pic the base is 6 1/2 overall 11" by 12" photo.jpg
its a wet or dry

Just a thought, you said you checked that the needle wheel is spinning
did you remove it and check that it had a positive stop on the shaft ?
I have had issues with them before where it looks intact but is actually broken free
if you hold the magnet firmly the needle wheel should not spin freely on the shaft there should be a positive stop
that will cause intermittent performance in bubble production

Just a thought, you said you checked that the needle wheel is spinning
did you remove it and check that it had a positive stop on the shaft ?
I have had issues with them before where it looks intact but is actually broken free
if you hold the magnet firmly the needle wheel should not spin freely on the shaft there should be a positive stop
that will cause intermittent performance in bubble production

Hmm. Can you explain a little more?
I didn't take the clear plastic guard off the pump. I thoroughly flushed it, then plugged it in and observed the wheel spinning in there.

I think what joelg means is to check that the needle wheel is still solidly attached to the shaft. Kind of like a Maxijet. When you take the impeller out and you can rotate it back and forth on the shaft until it hits the attachment point on the shaft.

My skimmer pump totally stopped on me the other day. I had to take the impaller out and clean everything there was a bunch of scum built up inside the housing. Once I cleaned it all up plugged it back in and all is good again... Did you take the impaller out of the pump? You said you flushed it but did ya take it completely apart?

My skimmer pump totally stopped on me the other day. I had to take the impaller out and clean everything there was a bunch of scum built up inside the housing. Once I cleaned it all up plugged it back in and all is good again... Did you take the impaller out of the pump? You said you flushed it but did ya take it completely apart?

Nope. I didn't see how to get the plastic housing off the pump without major surgery. Since it was obviously spinning, I thought it was just in need of flushing.

For bubble/water blaster pump, you'll need to remove those stainless screws on the front housing to get to the impeller. Check the magnet on the impeller for chip/crack. Contact Jeremy at CoralVue if it's under warranty, their service are of the best in the industry IMO.

I have spare bubble blaster 10k you can borrow until you get thing straight out.

Back