Skimmer pump restart issue

jdeb101

Non-member
Does anyone else experience issue when power is cut off and restored to skimmer pump that it does not work? I have to take the pump out and either flip it upside down or give it a little whack to kick start it back up.

Just wondering if this is normal and if this perhaps causes any harm other than skimmer not running, as it happens 9 out of 10 times I turn off power to my skimmer...

That is not normal at all. All of my equipments start up correctly after powering on. You may want to look to buy new skimmer or a replacement skimmer pump. What kind of skimmer is it and how old by the way?

It shouldn't happen, but some pumps are much more finicky than others.

How long since the pump has had a good vinegar cleaning? Does the impeller float freely on the shaft, or is it seized up? (usually it should spin freely on the shaft, but that varies from pump to pump)

my skimmer's pump (ecco+ 633) stopped working after unplugged for maintenance (just happened last week)

What John said. Try taking the skimmer out of the aquarium and running it in a tub of vinegar water for awhile. That helped me.

Back