Skimmer, return pump, and LED suggestions

smaraghy

Non-member
Hey there,
I just picked up a 60 gallon cube and stand the other day. I now need lighting, skimmer, sump, and a return pump. I was looking for suggestions on energy efficient skimmers and return pumps, as well as affordable reef LED lighting.
Can't wait to read your suggestions! Thanks!

How about this, You let us know what you are willing to spend and we can match it up with what you should buy? Might help a little bit.

LED reef lighting can be tough when affordable depending what you want to keep. I see energy efficient for a skimmer is that why you are also choosing LED?

As far as prices go..money is a factor. But I was hoping to take your suggestions and see what I could find used or on eBay. Im not interested in anything cheap and crappy tho;) and yes, I was choosing LED lighting to try and keep down my electric bill this time around... Thanks!!!

Good, effective LEDs and efficient skimmers are generally fetching top dollar these days as they are the things people are looking for, and or upgrading to. It's kind of like asking for "a very high end european sports car with top rated HP, premium handling, at least 35 mpg, and it needs to be affordable" :)

Also keep in mind that if you shell out top $ for the latest and greatest lights and skimmer, chances are they will not stay "latest and greatest" for along, and will end up very much de-valued if you go to resell.

The options are endless, but if you are just getting going you might want to consider a used MH pendant. With that you could probably pick one up quite inexpensively (everyone is selling them and no one buying = sweet deals), a single lamp pendant would light a 60 cube fantasticaly, and it would take quite a few years for the energy savings to catch up as compared to the top end LED alternative that will cost 10x as much up front.

For a skimmer, the newer super reef octopuss skimmers with the bubble blaster pumps seem to be a great compromise between the latest skimmer tech / performance, and reasonable prices.

Could always try a sca-301, 302 or 303 skimmer from eBay. Gets good reviews from hobbyists.
Don't forget a sump, return pump and overflow if your tank isn't Reef ready.
I also like the 250w halide pendant idea, a single Phoenix or Radium bulb would be all you need.

.......but if you are set on leds, then I would read through the huge Chinese led thread @ reef central and have one of the companies make you a "custom" 120w led layout. It should include reds, UV, green, etc, not just RB and CW.
I think evergrow ($160-$200)is the current popular brand, but read the thread and decide for yourself.
There are not too many other "cheap" options that I can think of except DIY.

Back