So are nitrites harmful to saltwater fish or no?

Well I don't really mind waiting, I just don't understand how people can have a tank cycled in 3 days and have it stay healthy with no livestock loss for years and years and yet I am stuck 5 weeks later with a tank that isn't fully cycled yet.

I think i'm going to wait one more week (a week from today) and if nitrites haven't lowered at all i'm going to do a 10% waterchange to lower it a bit because I have algae growing EVERYWHERE in this tank and could really use a few snails a.s.a.p. to get rid of it.

I had two cycles and I did not add anything to bring the second one on. I had all numbers at zero and was waiting a week before adding a cleanup crew and before I went out and purchased it I tested again and I had a slight spike in ammonia. So patience will help (I know you keep hearing it) I would wait atleast a week after you think it is cycled before adding anything to the tank and test before and also.

I had two cycles and I did not add anything to bring the second one on. I had all numbers at zero and was waiting a week before adding a cleanup crew and before I went out and purchased it I tested again and I had a slight spike in ammonia. So patience will help (I know you keep hearing it) I would wait atleast a week after you think it is cycled before adding anything to the tank and test before and also.

Thanks. Yeah i'm going to leave it alone until April because while I test with API and get ammonia 0.0, nitrite 1.0, and nitrate 10 on the API test kit, my LFS uses the Hagen complete test kit thats like $150 and they got 5.0 nitrite and 5.0 nitrate or somewhere around there so i'm just gonna say screw it, shut off the lights, hide my test kit, and ignore the tank til April. Probably the easiest way. Still gonna empty my skimmer cup ofcourse.

Back