SPS Mounting Question

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
I'm new to SPS and was wondering how you guys typically mount your frags. Do you permanently mount the plug into LR by drilling a hole and gluing it in? Is it common practice to mount ALL SPS frags on a plug? Or do you glue some of them directly on the rock? It seems that a lot of these only grow vertically, so they would not encrust easily past the plug?

Steve

You can do any of the ideas you mentioned. I sometimes mount them to plugs, glue to a rock or just shove it into a crevise.

I also do all of the above. Most encrust over the plug in short order if conditions are good. I have a blue acro that I got mounted on a 2" square tile, and it's completely encrusted over that whole tile, and onto the underlying rock in the three or so months I've had it, so it'll eventually get itself stuck directly to the rock one way or another. I tend to put stuff on plugs so that I can move the plug after a month or so if they aren't doing well in the first spot. But once they really start growing, I let them encrust heartily onto the rock.

Sounds like I'm doing it right, which is, what ever works I guess! I've got them mounted this way and that....

Steve

One trick I use for colonies that I intend to keep long term is to mount them to a rock, drill a hole in the rock, insert an acrylic peg, then insert the acrylic peg into the rock work of the tank. That way I can move the coral without damaging the areas that have encrusted.

Back