still having issues with MH

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
I just dont know what to do with my situation. Not sure if you remember but my 250w radium SE bulb would only fire on when you wiggle the bulb in the socket. Ive replaced the socket with no resolve. Ive replaced the bulb but it seems to be having the same issues. The first 3 days of the new bulb it fired on perfectly fine with my RK2 turning it on. However the last 2 days the bulb needed me to take it down, unscrew it, and wiggle the bulb. Have you ever hear of such a thing? I dont know what it could be. THe ballast fired on the test bulb I used and fires the radium when I wiggle it. THe socket is brand new. The bulb is brand new. Could the wiring on the Lumenbright be stoping the bulb from firing? Do you know someone that might have answers for me?

is there a certain way to wire the ballast to the refector socket? I always thought that wirenuts and elec tape would be acceptable. It just seems so fishy that it fires the bulb with a wiggle, like its ready to go but just cant turn over. frustrating isnt the word.

btw the set up is a 250w radium SE bulb, Bluewave 3 HQI ballast, and 250w Lumenbright SE pendant reflector.

well, After the first test after cutting down the cord more than 10' the bulb fired on perfectly. The second test comes at 5pm. Im hoping that my headache is gone. keep your fingers crossed.

Let me know if your 5pm test doesn't work, I have a suggestion from my old school days of providing phone support when I worked at a mail order company. However, some claim it's a myth so I don't suggest it anymore but I swear it works on stubborn bulbs. :D

Long lamp cords can indeed cause your issue as well so we will see. :cool:

just stick the two ends of the wires in the water. :eek: then you have no problem at all any more lol. jk no that sux does the wire get really hot?

no it doesnt get hot just doesnt work until I wiggle it. I never knew about the wire length issue but I guess you learn something everyday. Originally, all I did was splice the wires together and leave the cords at the manufacturers length. Nowhere did I see cut the cord or recommended installation lengths of cord but Im guessing this is only an issue with certain ballast/bulb combos.

I did alittle investigation and it looks like the wire that coralvue is using is rated 300v and not 600v. I plan on contacting them to inform them of this issue. What problems besides not starting can this create? will it damage my ballast or bulb? Ive cut down the 300v wire to 1 ft but now its got me worried. Would it be the price of 300v wire compared to 600v wire that would lead them to use the lower voltage wire?

Back