Stocking fish - 80 gallon

Intheflesh

Non-member
Currently here is my fish list:

Blue hippo tang - 3"
Yellow Tang - 3-1/2"
(2) misc Damsels - 3ish" each. (these are a gift from my niece. I can't get rid of them!)

Here is my proposed stocking list (in addition to the above):
Pair of Oscellaris clowns - unsure which. Probably a Picasso, snowflake or misbar variety. Or possibly true Percs.
School of longspine cardinal
blue jaw fish
blue throat trigger

Do you think the tank would be over crowded? My concern is the trigger. I would LOVE to have it, I am just worried it will get too big for the tank. I think the interwebs says max length of 9-10" DO you think 3 'big' fish is too much for my tank?

Thanks

What are the dimensions of your tank? By no means am I the Tang Police, however I personally wouldn't house a Blue Hippo in my 125, as I think they need 180+ (again, just my personal opinion).

As far as the Trigger, I have never kept one personally. I have seen quite a few 8-9" BJT, so yes, I do think the max size is accurate, and again I think an 80 is likely too small.

Besides that your list looks just fine. Although, the Blue Jaw Fish, is that a Blue Spotted? If so, they have very unique requirements and generally do not fair well in captivity.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Honestly, the 2 big fish you already have are likely to become too much "big fish" for 80g...

A jawfish is unlikely to do well with the fish you have - they are just too timid for tangs and damsels. And are very accomplished jumpers besides.

What are the dimensions of your tank? By no means am I the Tang Police, however I personally wouldn't house a Blue Hippo in my 125, as I think they need 180+ (again, just my personal opinion).

As far as the Trigger, I have never kept one personally. I have seen quite a few 8-9" BJT, so yes, I do think the max size is accurate, and again I think an 80 is likely too small.

Besides that your list looks just fine. Although, the Blue Jaw Fish, is that a Blue Spotted? If so, they have very unique requirements and generally do not fair well in captivity.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Foot print is 48 x 24". Yeah, I see on LA they list blue hippos for 180+. He's still small. and has plenty of room. I have the space/permission form the boss to upgrade down the line.

Re: jaw fish - I had a brain fart. I was thinking of the yellow headed jawfish.

Honestly, the 2 big fish you already have are likely to become too much "big fish" for 80g...

A jawfish is unlikely to do well with the fish you have - they are just too timid for tangs and damsels. And are very accomplished jumpers besides.
thanks for the advise. Perhaps substituting the jawfish wish a watchman goby?

Watchman goby would work.

Jawfish are just so easily intimidated... Even my royal gramma and clowns were too much for a new jawfish (though my first jawfish was more ballsy and did great until he found a gap in my cover). I think they really need to be the first fish unless their tankmates are all super peaceful. Which is a shame because they are awesome little fish.

the problem with having tangs in anything less than a 180 is aggression . they will fight and stress the fish , possibly causing ich and fish deaths . I have a 180 I will probably never et around to re-doing the silicone I want it gone . I have it under my deck . Hint hint

I think more importantly is the aquascape. If you have too much rock in the tank, there's no room for the fish to swim and not bump into each other. For this reason, my rockwork is pretty minimalistic. I rather put a bunch of rocks in the sump than the display.

Is the tank covered btw? Jawfish and Gobies both need 100% covered tanks. Even Clowns have been known to jump fairly often.

Back