stocking my 46

i just took a quick measurement it looks like i could get a 10g in there. i measured the 10g in my kids room and its only 10" wide and 20" long if i remember right. i have a 20g long laying around too but i think its too wide. tomorrow ill clean out the stand and see if it fits but i doubt it. sorry for all the questions ive been reading alot but this is still very new to me. i really appreciate the help,thanks, Mike

Never be sorry about asking questions. Asking questions is how you learn and the members here are happy to answer your questions. Even a ten gallon tank as a sump can make a huge difference even if you just put one baffle and a skimmer in it with the return pump. Google sump setups and look at the images so you can get an idea of the elaborate sump setups that people have. I myself plumbed everything to the basement. I have a 90g fuge a 100g stock tank and a 40g breeder that runs off the stock tank. But I also had a 125g display with a heavy bio load so it was needed.

I bought 62 lbs of live rock tonight. I removed all my dead rock and replaced it with this. It has a lot of coralline on it snd it looks pretty good. Tomorrow I'll set it up nice. So now I prolly got 72 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand in my 46.

Put a 10 gallon in there and make a refugium. I have a 29. Gallon split in 3 under my 75 . The left side is where the tank drains into the sock, the middle is where I have the rock and algea, the right is the return. It helps the tank maintain itself, and the 3 months I have had my tank minimal water changes are needed and my ph stays around. 8.4 and all my nitrates and ammonia and so in Are 0 or barely readable. Don't stock your tank to quick . When I started a lfs took advantage of me and sold me every fish under the tank, stressed everything out, ich formed and my fish wiped. Since then I took it slow and added 1 fish every few weeks to a month and haven lost a thing.

Put a 10 gallon in there and make a refugium. I have a 29. Gallon split in 3 under my 75 . The left side is where the tank drains into the sock, the middle is where I have the rock and algea, the right is the return. It helps the tank maintain itself, and the 3 months I have had my tank minimal water changes are needed and my ph stays around. 8.4 and all my nitrates and ammonia and so in Are 0 or barely readable. Don't stock your tank to quick . When I started a lfs took advantage of me and sold me every fish under the tank, stressed everything out, ich formed and my fish wiped. Since then I took it slow and added 1 fish every few weeks to a month and haven lost a thing.

Sold me ever fish under the sun**** I meant to say lol

Mike,

Re: adding clown fish. I had one clown fish (due to a tragic accidental death!)... and the general thinking was that if you add another clown separately they will fight.. But I was sure my clown fish was lonely! So I added a new clown fish smaller in size. To help with the introduction I took the single clown fish out while I was dripping the new clownfish to get ready for introduction. I also moved all my liverock around.. Then I added both clown fish to *new* tank at the same time. At first they stayed away from each other... THEN one day later they were best friends and to date they have been inseparable for 5 years. They live in my mushrooms.

Go slow my friend! One fish at a time I'd recomend. I added a bunch at once in the beginning and nearly wiped my tank. Each fish added adds stress so the more new you introduce the more stress and more compromising of health. Let the tank tell you when it's ready for another fish by levels and look if the other fish and most importantly time. :)

Go slow my friend! One fish at a time I'd recomend. I added a bunch at once in the beginning and nearly wiped my tank. Each fish added adds stress so the more new you introduce the more stress and more compromising of health. Let the tank tell you when it's ready for another fish by levels and look if the other fish and most importantly time. :)

Sorry just had to repeat myself again. :p. I'm here if you need help or I'll send you my number if you need one on one

reefkeeper i sent you a pm.

i did a 10g water change tonight and it didnt seem to effect my nitrate at all. tomorrow ill clean out the canister filter and add some purigen and see what that does. maybe in a couple days ill change out some more water.

The water change lowers the nitrates proportionately and don't test until 24 hours after change. Your nitrates really aren't harmfully high. Keep up with water changes and check again in a day or so and don't add. Single fish until parameters are balanced and stay stable. Your tank just like mine being so young will have frequent changes that won't stop until it ages. A tank technically isn't mature until a year or more all though there are ways to manipulate it. Swings will happen it's just up to you and how much you want to get into this to control how big the swings are. Getting rid of that canister and getting a sump refugium is huge if you go that route but yes for now clean it.

IMO refugiums have to be big to actually act as a nutrient export. Also I would definitely think of getting a skimmer and more flow in the tank. The skimmer is the most important thing. I have tried HOB overflows they do work but I feel like they are a risk with power outages. If I were you I would invest in a good HOB Skimmer or get a reef ready tank and a sump, anyways welcome to BRS and great job!

Back