Styrafoam Sheet to go under 180

Pinkskunk

Non-member
Hi guys/gals.

I read Mirical website along with others, they recommend we put the white styrafoam sheet underneath the tank, not the pink inulation we find at HD. Where do you think i can get those white styro sheets? 180 (6x4x2)

TIA

I am curious why they would recommend white and not the pink? Esthetics?

I would check with Home Depot or Lowes first... they may carry it or have packaging left over from something and can save a piece for you. (if you can find a nice employee or know someone there).

Maybe a craft store?

Home depot has white Styrofoam, large sheets. and comes In different thickness. I get them for making tombstones.. WOOHOO Halloween just around the corner..

I've heard that yoga mats are better.....it compresses more easily and all you're looking to do is provide a slight cushion.

I used the pink 3/4" insulation under mine. No issue, but haven't had it long. However, person before me had it on the same stuff. Its mainly from tanks that sit directly on the bottom, not on a frame like most tanks do. It stops pressure points from being created which could break the glass.

> Its mainly from tanks that sit directly on the bottom, not on a frame like most tanks do<

Yes, if you have a tank with a frame I don't think this is a good idea. I think you'd be better off with just some thin plywood.

I thought frame tanks were supported by the frame. The bottom glass being recessed. My old 150 was like that, sat on the old school wrought iron frame at edges only.

As to styro under frameless, I don't have specifics about differences between the 1/2 or 1" white and 3/4 pink but the frameless I have was shipped with the custom stand and a thin piece of homosote, perhaps 1/8 or 3/16 tops.

Back