Tang Covered In Ich in Hypo?

Old Glory

Non-member
Started hypo on my display tank last week. Took 5 days to lower my salinity to 1.090 using refractometer. Final level was reached Saturday so it has been 5 days at 1.090. There were a few spots but nothing major. I lost an Anthias though:(.

I have been watching PH and it is good. Ammonia; Nitite are 0. Nitrate is 0-5.

This morning my yellow and hippo tangs are covered in spots. I thought the lower Hypo levels killed off the Ich? Is this normal? Will the parasites die when the change to the swimming stage?

I had treated the hippo in copper but could not move all my fish too the QT so it was suggested I treat the display tank using hypo method.

Thanks.

You mean 1.009, correct?

Hypo prevents the free swimming stage from completing it's part in the cycle. Hypo doesn't knock the cysts off of the fish.

Yes thanks 1.009.

So if the fish had some spots but are now covered (the number of cysts has increased) does that mean the cysts were there but not visible?

I can't say for sure, but yes that is probably possible. Assuming the reading of 1.009 is accurate (and is maintained consistently, no rise due to evaporation allowed...), you should see the spots disappear soon and not re-appear.

I had an ich break out in my 55 gallon. I had my fish at 1.009 for roughly 21 days. Depending on where the ich is in it's lifestage, 1 to 2 weeks may not be enough. Hypo is the only real solution to rid both you tank and fish of ich, but it does take time. Better to have them in hypo a little longer than get another ich outbreak and have to go through hypo again.

usually the minimum reccomended treatment time is 4 weeks from when you last see any spots. Personally I always go with at least 6 weeks.

Back