tank flow

littlefish09

2012 BOD
since im new to saltwater and going to be setting up a 36 gal tank in the near future what should i be looking for for flow in the tank?

What do you plan on keeping? SPS? LPS? Zoos? Mixed?
The reason I ask is because sps need more random flow then the others. You could go with a korralia or maxi jet with a seaflo mod or 2 if you want good flow for cheap, or you can spring for a Vortech if you want to go all out.

I didn't see your new. I would stay away from SPS for a while and get one or 2 Korralia pumps or the maxi mod I mentioned above to get you started.

Go with the flow

What size tank do you have? depending on the size of your tank you'll need to make sure you get enough flow from each powerhead. Also, though I dont have one myself, I've heard that wavemakers are pretty worth while. Especially for corals like nick had mentioned, certain corals need random/alternating curents. I have a 46 gal bow. I have two koralia evo pumps (right now at least) each one is pumping 650 gals per hour. HOWEVER, since I redid my tank I have made a few dead spots with my LR so I'm going to get a smaller power head for this one problem spot I have that has almost no current from rock blocking the flow. Flow is very important in the interest of keeping your tank clean.

~Scotch :.

Back