Tank problems in Gardner

Apone

Non-member
I am having major problems with my tank. Most of my corals are shrinking down and meltng away.
I live in Gardner and use the town water for my tank after it is filtered through a RODI. My filters in the RODI are only 6 months old. I dont have a TDS meter, but I dont currently have any problem algae blooms indicating high levels of disolved nutrients.

All my water parameter levels are normal:
T: 81
Ammonia:0
Nitrate: 0
phosphate: 0
Copper: none
alk: 2.5 meq
pH: 8.5
Ca: 380

I cant figure out why my corals are having trouble now. I have had the tank set-up for several years and have never had a similar issue. At this time my only corals that look alive are my torch colony and a few zoos. Does anone else live in the area with similar issues? I am guesing it must be my water but I am not sure at this point.

do you use carbon

when I don't use carbon for a long time I find that a week of carbon does wonders. I also do weekly water changes.
If you do have carbon in the tank maybe its time to change it.

should'nt the calcium be around 425? thats what i was always told and read, i still consider my self a newbie still learning

calcium is a little low, but not low enough to stress corals the way Apone is describing.

I second the question about something toxic (sea cucumer?) dying.

alkalinity is actually correct,2.5 meq is NSW.

Is there a chance some kind of toxin got into the tank,something sprayed in the air or like jay mentioned did anything die

definitely do a water change and fresh carbon.

To me, looking at your params, your pH is a little high, ca is a little low, temp is a little high but it's all just a little off -- don't think it would kill stuff. My ca has been low for ages -- just can't get that second dosing in the week going but all it does is slow growth.

It could be your RO/DI -- especially the DI part. I just found out that mine -- which I did not change for over a year because the TDS meter kept reading okay -- the DI probably dumped a bunch of silicate in the tank. Not a good thing -- but the problem with the water can't be measured by normal tests. I guess too -- the phosphates are actually pretty tricky to measure because there are different kinds and the tests only read a certain type of phosphate. Are you using any kind of phosphate remover?

I had a real eye opener once when I brought some water in to a meeting to be tested. My refractometer evidently was not calibrated and I my reading was 1.022. If you need tests, I am close and can bring a battery of test kits over if you think this might help. Besides two different brands for alkalinity and calcium I also have Mg, phosphates, silica, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and a TDS meter. I think I still have a copper and iodine kit too.

Back