Tanks recomendations for a third floor?

Yariel0527

Non-member
I am moving next month and was wondering if i can keep my 220 or i need to downzise. i will be living in a trird floor so i am i little scared to put my tank on that floor.
what you guys recomend me to do?

Do you have any idea what sort of supports are running where the tank will be? And will you be renting? Sometimes landlords aren't too fond of that much water sitting above other tenants incase it somehow comes out all at once.

it all the depends on the length of the tank. the longer the tank the better. i had a 4ft 120 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump up on a 2nd floor. i was so scared at first but i decided to try it and low and behold nothing happened. later in the future i am planning to buy a 6ft 180 gallon tank

If you do decide to use a 220 on a third floor make sure you go into the cellar and find out what direction the joists are running. You want your tank placement to be perpendicular to the joists to span as many support beams as possible. The closer to the outside foundation the better. Also a tank stand with four legs creates much more floor stress than one which the bottom runs the length of the stand.How would you sneak the tank upstairs past the landlord. Here is a link that may answer some questions for you http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

I am not moving to a house it will be an condominium complex. They are big buildings with at least 6 apartments on each floor. But I will have one of the corners apartments. I am thinking that that may work my tank it's a 72"x24" hopefully that help with the weight.

Just keep in mind that you are looking at close to 1.5 tons in that 72x24 area....assuming you don't have a sump.
I'd get a REALLY GOOD renter's insurance policy, and make sure the lease doesn't exclude tanks over a certain size. If you're buying, you can probably add a rider to your homeowner's policy.

<----- Oh, and make sure the side of your tank doesn't look like this from 'rough handling' :rolleyes:

Depends on the construction of the building. If you don't know that any advice you get here is anecdotal

Back