The Big Pump question

naturebatslast

Senior Toad Licker
So...today I'm one inch closer to a new setup and my main stumbling block, outside of the direct proportional relationship between the satisfaction I get from my tank and my overall lack of cash, is what size pump should I be looking at? The main display will be 65gal, but what I'd really like to have is a frag tank. Ideally, I'd like to set up the main connected to a 20-25gal sump capacity. The frag tank, 20gal, would be set up next to the display and have overflow draining into the sump, so 3 tanks in total, 100ish gallons in all for total volume. I'd like to buy a pump powerful enough to drive the display with good flow, but have enough to T it off to the frag tank, realizing this will cause the pump to lose some of its capacity. I have a feeling that a pump rated to 1000 GPH will not have enough UMPH.
So.. what size should I be looking for? Should I be thinking external or just go with a submersible?
Thanks,NBL

The pro/con discussion of external vs. submersable pumps is in Useful Threads. See post #11.
I realize that won't fully answer your questions, but it might give you ffod for thought. :)

Are you planning to use a return pump to create all the flow you need in the tanks? Or will you have powerheads as well?

I think 1000gph would be enough for a return pump, split to the two tanks, but wouldn't provide nearly enough total flow.

Definetly powerheads, 2 maybe 3 in the main. But I was hoping to skimp on the PH"s, only going with one, with it setup for turbulent flow into the frag return.
It looks like a minimum GPH pump is around 1200ish.
Thanks Moe, the thread was good and I think I won't consider an external just for noise alone. Ahhh, the constaints of my apartmental domicile.
NBL

if you flow 500-600 through you sumps and tanks that will be good enough.... In my 55, with 20 gallon sump I am flowin about 450-500 with a penductor on the return. Just enough to keep the skimmer fed. I have 2 powerheads for supplimental flow. When I set up my 75gal. I am going to go to 350-400 thru the sump and put two penductors on a closed loop off of an external pump....

Back