The disappearing clown fish and my fuzzy mushroom

smokey30

Non-member
I have gone through about 4 clown fish in my nano. It is the strangest thing, they would just vanish, one day here next day gone no where to be found. So I was just sitting up playing some late night ps3 and my tank lights went off so I went over to see how my last clown fish was doing and he was no where to be found. So I look up at one of my fuzzy mushrooms and he is all closed up, so I watch it for a while and all along comes my emerald crab, goes up to the mushroom and pulls out my final DEAD clown fish. I could not believe my eyes then he went to town on it. Anyone know how to kill fuzzy mushrooms, cause they are costing me a lot of money in clown fish. Thought I would pass this story along cause I have finally figured it out, and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Its def. not a nem..I am assuming that when the lights go out that the fish might have been resting on them..and little did they know what was about to happen

You should of got a picture of it feeding, not that it was nice of him to eat your clown fish.

Last edited:
have any other livestock in there? clowns usually wont get eaten by host unless they're already sick or dying.

Before lights out he was happy as a clam. He was the last of my second pair of clowns. I dont think he was sick or dying. I wish I had a camera ready it happened so fast it was crazy. Does anyone know if joes juice would safely kill these shrooms?

Back