"THE TANK" is moving!!

Scuba_Dave

Non-member
I'm on vacation next week, and hoping to coordinate the move of the big tank. Currently located in Worcester area, moving (I think) to Hingham (my mom's basement). I need to do some measuring 1st. Possibly it may go in the basement of my house (Rockland). I may need to remove a door (frame & all) at my house to get it into the basement. I'd prefer my basement, then I can work on polishing it up over the winter.
Tues is out so far (Boat work). If anyone is available during the day, or at night next week/weekend, at either end, let me know.
Also if anyone has any suggestions...all ideas welcome :)

I'm thinking of renting a Uhual/Ryder truck & putting pads down under the tank.
Base measures 8'x5', and the entire base needs to sit flat. I'd rather not stick this in a pick on it's side. The top is actually thicker then the bottom, so I may put it top side down. I'll be off the PC until tonite possibly
Thanx for any input/help

I wonder how much work it would be to put a crate around it. You could then roll it with some furnature dollies.

I'm thinking of that, but the wood could scrape the acrylic....might be more work then it's worth to wrap it up right. I'm thinking 6 people would be needed to safely move it. He said 3 GOOD sized guys moved it in. I'm not good sized....

Maybe you should make a custom pallet for it and then load that on a trailer. I am not sure about transporting upside down. I'd think there would be a greater chance of one wall being whacked in one way or another. Get your self some of that plastic wrap they use to wrap pallets and wrap it in that.

food for thought...

I can get a flatbed truck with a long 12'+ bed for the move if this helps. if you need my help I can arange something , hopefully the shop truck won't be in use.

im in worcester.weekends are good for me

I was handed a document last night to sign:

I "David Balch" to hereby agree & solemnly swear that the 650g tank will be the last tank I ever buy
signed....______________

I asked what happens if I decide to take it out & buy a smaller tank
I'm not sure if she was laughing or crying..... :rolleyes:

I think the only issue w/moving this is that I am not ready this weekend, and next weekend is a holiday weekend.
I'm thinking of making a bracket/support piece to allow the tank to be carried on one side (thru doors etc as needed). Good news is it should be easy to get out of his basement.

Dave Can give you a hand when you need it. you can even put the tank at my house if you need and set it up and stock it with corals and i will keep an eye on it for you..

Scuba_Dave said:
I'm thinking of that, but the wood could scrape the acrylic....might be more work then it's worth to wrap it up right. I'm thinking 6 people would be needed to safely move it. He said 3 GOOD sized guys moved it in. I'm not good sized....

I agree that the wood could scrape it. You would need to wrap the tank first, maybe small sized bubblewrap or that thin white wrap whose name escapes me. I think it will be a pain to wrap it, but the wrap\crate should help keep the tank safe when that UHaul starts bouncing around after hitting some potholes.

Armando said:
cute little tank :D
Yes very cute little tank :D

Dave go to HD and get furniture pads to wrap it in. Then use packing tape to hold the pads in place. That is what movers use to move large furniture pieces without damage.

Scuba_Dave said:
I was handed a document last night to sign:

I "David Balch" to hereby agree & solemnly swear that the 650g tank will be the last tank I ever buy
signed....______________

I asked what happens if I decide to take it out & buy a smaller tank
I'm not sure if she was laughing or crying..... :rolleyes:

The wife just realized the problem with her document...The last tank I will BUY :D
I recd my 30g, 55g, and 60g for free. Plus I still have the 180g, a 20g, (2) Petco tanks...she's rewriting it..... :rolleyes:

Back