This Weekends Projects...

smcnally

Tankless
All I can say is WOW! One of my many "Tank Projects" for this weekend was to do the mesh mod to my skimmer. What a difference it made, you can see in this picture about 2 hours of skimmate that is like tar. While I did this I also decided to redo the plumbing. My overflows used to go right into a filter sock. Now the go right to the sump in an effort to keep crap suspended more, then the riser tube of my skimmer now feeds into the filter sock. I'm hoping this also helps keep the filter sock clean longer. I also took the hoses off of my phosban reactor because I was (tired of them kinking) and hard piped some PVC. I can't believe the difference it made in the flow. It is a much more even flow.

Attachments

• dsc04271.jpg
    dsc04271.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 306
  • dsc04275.jpg
    dsc04275.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 302
Hey Steve, thats the G-2 with the Sedra 3500? How many layers of mesh did you use? I recently bought some PF4 from Aquatic Eco-Systems. I haven't used the skimmer yet, and have done the recirc, feed, collection cup drain, and gate valve mods.

:eek: heh didn't even notice, but its right in your sig. Nice work on the mods! One question though - why did you reduce the output of the skimmer? Isn't that what the gate valve is for? It looks like you reduced the 1.25" to 1"? Just wondering

I only reduced because of the gate valve I had on hand. It doesn't seem to affect the skimmer at all though.

That makes sense, I think the 1.25 gate valve is mostly closed anyways. I guess it really depends on your intake feed pump. Is your skimmer setup as direct feed? I was thinking of doing this. If it is how is it working out for you?

Back