Tissue loss pavona

Matt W

Chemist
BRS Member
This lady has been losing tissue recently. Any thoughts? Lowered PO4 last week, but this likely started before that.

1540240322514.png

33afeed1b2886b6e1c6d597c825565ba.jpg

166e1bd930d73ec640ab616df4947833.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I forget exactly, possibly encrusting green pavona. I got from Dong a couple years ago. Previously quite hardy, grew out this piece in 7g nano and has never shown stress until now.

Is there anything near it that could sting it?
No, Only some zoas. The tissue is even receding in the area where it encrusted deep into the rock structure. I do have emerald crab but this coral has seen them a long time.

Last edited:
Is water current vert strong at the part that loss tissue?

It is a pavona

If it looks like it is spreading frag it up. Is t just lack of light? Looks like it either got crunched by something else or just over shadowed/died.

Was there any of those aptasia near there or maybe nailed it with the wand by accident?

Nice zoas by the way
Thanks, they grow really well. Wish I remember what they are. I may need to learn how to frag them off the rock soon. Haven't done much in tank fragging.

There hasn't been many aptasias by there. Kinda stumped here.

I have the same encrusting green pavona and I would love to get rid of as it is overgrowing and killing its neighbors. If you figure out the secret to causing necrosis I would love to hear it!

Alk is stable (8.0 - 8.2 over last mo), no light change, no significant flow change (increased flow by + 5%; - 2 mp10s at 40-50% in 40G),

Dosed PhosphateRx to reduce P from 0.4 ppm to 0.07 ppm 3 wks ago, but I believe necrosis started prior to this.

Recently dosed Fluconazole (at 4x dose) to treat bubble algae, and tissue loss may have slowed.

Unless loss seems to stop in the next day or two, I will likely pull rock off and dremel off the affected areas; dip in ReVive & ReefDip and place on a new rock. Does this seem like the correct approach?

I really like this coral. It pretty easy to grow and finally started encrusting across rock pieces looking mature. If this one doesn't make I may new a new colony from @JeanR or @dz6t

Back