Torch troubleshooting

melanarus

BRS Member
Looking for some advice on how to figure out what might be troubling my NY Knicks torch (see pic). I got this coral 6 months ago and it grew from a single head to 2 heads.

My parameters have been pretty stable for the past month. Alk around 8.3. Nitrates around 10 (salifert). Calcium 380. Salinity at 35. Ph around 8-8.1.

Most other corals are doing fine or growing relatively quick (montipora, stylo, green slimer). I also have another torch, hammer, and octospawn that are doing fine. Some frogspawn is fine and some also having similar issue.

I’ve made some adjustments to increase flow (2 mp40s on back wall of 120g). The corals in question aren’t getting hit with high flow.

Would love some advice on best place to start to narrow down to what the issue might be.

Thanks!

Last edited:
1706403344480.jpeg

might be a bacterial infection if everything else in the tank is doing fine. I would cut off the dead heads and dip. KFC dip has been known to help infections in torches. Calcium also is on the lower end.

might be a bacterial infection if everything else in the tank is doing fine. I would cut off the dead heads and dip. KFC dip has been known to help infections in torches. Calcium also is on the lower end.
I agree. Raise calcium 400-440 dip it cut off dead section. No mention of phosphate, test it. You said it doubled in size. Why change flow? I’m thinking bacterial or parameters

Thanks for the input! The torch doubled while the other corals weren’t really growing much. Increased flow and the SPS are now growing but this coral has suffered. Seems like it might not be related to flow. I have moved it today to a small rock cove that looks like it has low flow and light.

Planning on cutting and dipping. Will slowly work to raise calcium as well.

I don’t think you want low light. Nor low flow, really. Just not getting blasted by constant flow. I agree suspect a bacterial infection since other Euphyllia are happy. Have saved. Couple looking similar with Cipro (but KFC dip is likely better since broader spectrum).

Anyone have this dip ingredients or similar on hand? I just have Revive.

Definitely cut that head off

Likey something went south on your parms, possibly the lower calcium.

You need the KFC dip

Went to pick up the supplies for this at Kens today. Some big guy with a beard bought it all. Any one know a big guy with a beard who has a tank?

They are ordering more.

Thanks big guy with a beard for asking them to carry this along with many other supplies in the first place

Have you checked magnesium? Low mag can really hurt lps corals. I would check levels if you haven’t already

Back