Total newb question - refractometer

fishmommy

Non-member
Did I use this thing right? It didn't have very helpful instructions so I guessed at it.

Clean the prism and flippy thing with pure water
Put a drop of tank water on the prism
Close the flip top and smooth out any bubbles
Wait a ten count for temps to equalize
Take the reading

Did I use this thing right? It didn't have very helpful instructions so I guessed at it.

Clean the prism and flippy thing with pure water
Put a drop of tank water on the prism
Close the flip top and smooth out any bubbles
Wait a ten count for temps to equalize
Take the reading

Most will use RO/DI water to clean. There is caibration solution that usually comes with the refactometer, but most do work in the same manner.

yep, I used RO/DI to clean. The instructions said to calibrate to zero with RO/DI which I did, but I have calibration solution on the way as well.
I have no livestock yet so this is not so critical yet.
Thanks!

I always just wiped the prism/cover off on my t-shirt. :)

Otherwise I just squirted enough water on the prism to cover it, flipped the cover closed, and waited 20 seconds or so to check it (if I was patient)... normally I didn't wait much at all.

Depending on your refractometer it may need to be calibrated with RODI or a refractometer solution. The one I bought from Marine Depot said to just use RODI.

Sounds pretty accurate. I never heard about waiting 10 seconds though and by pure water I'm sure they mean RO/DI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The glass on these refractometers is very sensitive. I've always used microscope tissue and cleaning solution. Cost pennies and preserves the integrity of the glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure you read the calibration fluid bottle carefully. My calibration fluid calibrates to 35 or 0.026, not to 0. There was a big sticker on the packaging making sure I didn't "zero" it. Mine came from Bulk Reef Supply i believe. As far as use goes, steps go like this.

1) wipe glass and cover with lens cloth
2)add two drops of calibration fluid.(make adjustments if necessary at this point)
3) clean glass and cover
4)add two drops tank water
5)take reading(i never wait 20 seconds maybe 5 or so)
6)clean glass and cover and pipette if you used one to prevent salt accumulation inside and screwing with future readings

Hope this helps
Bill

I don't mean to hijack thread, but I've always wondered if refractometer is really as necessary as ppl make it out to be. I been using the bobble thermometer type since day 1. Is this type of measurement really that much less accurate?

A properly calibrated one is very important, a poorly calibrated one is more harmful than the swing arm or thermometer type

This article explains just about everything you need to know, why using a SG standard solution is necessary for a lot of refractometers, and how to make a DIY calibration solution.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/

It's worth noting that some of the less expensive refractometers are rebranded from other applications and may even come with instructions that say to calibrate with pure water, but actually should be calibrated using a SG standard solution.

I don't mean to hijack thread, but I've always wondered if refractometer is really as necessary as ppl make it out to be. I been using the bobble thermometer type since day 1. Is this type of measurement really that much less accurate?

I used the Bobble one for 8 years until about 2 months ago.. I was testing my water and did not believe the results.. as i tapped it the readings would change.. that the white circle that causes the float fell out of the arm.. i went and got 2 new ones... both read different by .002 and showed my old faulty one that fell apart had let me get my water up to 1.029 ... i now use the 2 as a guide and test with refractometer for all water changes

Back