Tropic Marin

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
For those who uses tropic marin, what's the ALK and Calc? I recently switched to tropic marin from oceanic because of how great I heard TM was and I wasnt too happy with the low alk/high Calc in Oceanic.
I've been doing a lot of water change lately because of the red bug treatment and when I tested the TM, alk is ~10dkh which is nice but the calc is ~330ppm! This is way too low for me. I keep my alk at 10dkh and calc at 450ppm. The bad part about it is that I just got the 200gal bucket. It's gonna take me forever to finish the bucket and everytime I do my water change, I have to add alot of calcium supplement to bring it up to a level I want.

Oceanic is known to have low alk/high calc. I use Tropic Marin and just add calc if I need to (but with a 24/7 kalk drip, I don't need to add too much) - but I also don't have a lot of calc-demanding SPS. If you are going to the July meeting, I would be happy to buy the TM from you. I also have a few small ziploc bags of Oceanic left over from when I used to use it. You can have those for free.

LMK -
Daire

Not to kick this thread, but I just went back to TM because the other brand I was using seemed (I stress seemed) to perpetuate algae outbreaks. My Ca tests were a
little low (400 ish) but not that low with TM. I have read rodi can negate some properties in salts though.

My RO/DI has a 0 reading on TDS unless my tds meter is wrong.
No way i'm going back to oceanic, the calc in that thing is like 480-500ppm! and the alk is about 6dkh.
Maybe I should be looking at the TM-Pro reef mix. Its like 10bucks more per 200gal bucket.

I thought you said you liked Oceanic?? :confused: FWIW - I haven't heard good things about the TM Pro - but I forget what the compaints were.

I use TM Regular and tested something like 440ppm Ca and 8dKh Alk using RO/DI water with 0ppm TDS. I just switched over to TM years ago, and figured it was best to just stick with one salt and not switch around a whole lot.

Matt:cool:

I used TM for about 2 years before I switched to pro... I think adding alittle Ca is alot better than dealing with the hastles of phosphates in your salts, low alk high ca, exc...

I switched to pro when they came out with that too... I think the problems people were hearing about with pro was that it has such high consentrates of everything that it shocked alot of peoples corals and killed some things...If you switch over very slowly it works out good :)

Back