Turbo Snail Woes - Is He Okay?

agentfive

Non-member
We've had a turbo snail for over a year now - and tonight I found him flipped over an unable to right himself. I set him on a piece of rock and he righted himself and then got to sort of cleaning - but his greenish round thing was showing a bit and he seemed to struggle. Also when I found him the nassarius snail was all over him - like it smelled something was wrong.

Well - after a couple of hours of cleaning - I found him face up again in the back rock - and then put him back in the sand. It's as if he can't get himself out of the shell and righted again - like he's tired. I don't want to mess with him too much.

Looking for any advice on what to do to get him going again - maybe he just needs a little time - but I'm worried he's all twisted or tired and on the way out - and given we have a 14 gallon - not needing the giant ammonia spike.

I love Mr. Turbo - what do I do?

IME when they start to flip over they don't last much longer... Having one for a full year is pretty impressive... Usually mine only last 6 months and it's because they run out of food...

Okay - that's a bummer - he has such a nice purple color and we all love turbo. So should I take him out if it continues to be safe? I hate to pre-emptively do something to him...

if you have hermit crab they'll take care of it for you. and might use the shell to so that nice purple shell will get good use

Get him some algae and put him right on top of it. He needs to build his strength. If you have to, wrap a rock in some nori.

Just keep a close eye on Turbo, The spike won't start until / if he dies. If that happens then take him out right away. As long as he is moving and responsive leave him alone and right him if he can't do it himself.

Turbos don't last forever, I think a year is pretty good, but it still hurts to see a loss.

I go through snails like socks. A year is impressive. I bought 6 turbos about 4 months ago. I don't even know if I have any left.

This is the reason why Tiger Trochus snails are my favorite. They do a great job of cleaning, and they can right themselves if they get flipped over. I have a lot of wrasse and other fish that will intentionally flip snails over if I'm late on feeding them, so Tiger Trochus snails are a better option for me. I still have a few that I bought from Jeremy(CRA) at a meeting close to 2 years ago.

http://www.reefpedia.com/index.php/Trochus_Snail

I go through snails like socks. A year is impressive. I bought 6 turbos about 4 months ago. I don't even know if I have any left.

I've got a single Mexican Turbo that is bigger around than my niece's fist, probably 3" diameter. I've had him for over 2 years. He was part of three that I got for my first reef tank. All his buddies starved, but he keeps on kicking. He keeps my rockwork spotless. He's the third largest thing in my tank - outside of my clams.

I've got a single Mexican Turbo that is bigger around than my niece's fist, probably 3" diameter. I've had him for over 2 years. He was part of three that I got for my first reef tank. All his buddies starved, but he keeps on kicking. He keeps my rockwork spotless. He's the third largest thing in my tank - outside of my clams.

I remember baby-sitting that guy..he was HUGE! But I must say my glass was spotless while I had him:D;)

Good luck with your turbo.

Once in awhile I'll have to help them right themselves and then they're good to go. I've had my 4 turbos for 2+ years and they seem to be doing well.

Does anyone know how long they live?

Back