"Turf" Algae?

jackthestrat

DON'T PANIC
Hi folks.

I'm having an issue with a kind of algae that I haven't seen in my four years of reefing.

It's short, roughly 1/4 an inch long at most, and bristly. Very dense. Looks kind of like sod growing on my rockwork. Dark green, grows like a weed. I have been unable to find a picture that closely resembles it online, and am unable to take a clear picture of it.

I haven't taken to manual removal methods yet, nothing in my tank appears to be interested in eating it (I have the standard CUC with regards to snails, a tailspot blenny), I have been running GFO aggressively for a month with no sign of this stuff abating. TDS of RODI is at 0. Minimal food inputs to the tank (quarter of a pinch of food once a day, I don't have much of a bioload). Cone skimmer is running optimally, pulling an inch worth of black gunk every day. I'm not sure where the phosphates are coming from that this stuff is eating, but they are clearly there somewhere.

Tangs and FoxFish are not an option due to the size restriction on my tank (~50g cube).

Thoughts/suggestions?

some of these algae popup in ulns, I had some luck with blue tuxedo urchins.
I have 2x in my 40g that keep the rock very clean and frags on the move. :p
A small naso tang might be a option as-well.

is this it by chance?
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/maidens_hair.html

Kind of like that, but much shorter. Mine is like a well kept lawn. I don't have many frags anymore so perhaps an urchin would be a good idea. Do the tuxes munch on softies?

I have only a few softies, but haven't seen any damage to them.
They do eat coraline as-well, not sure how you'll like that.

Back