Use Sodium Hydroxide to kill Aiptasia?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I used Kalk water but Aiptasia keep coming back.

Can I use a stronger base like NaOH to kill them?

Thanks

I'd worry about how a strong base would affect the tank pH. Are you thinking about putting an NaOH pellet on the aptasia? I can't imagine that would have a measurable effect on the tank pH.

Are the aiptasia you try to kill regenerating? Or are new ones sprouting up in different places after you try to kill them? Alot of what I've read about killing aiptasia is that they have a defense mechanism and spread eggs or whatever as they die. Most resources recommend shutting pumps off while you try to kill them. I tried to one up this a little:

A large live rock I bought had several aiptasia on it. I syphoned some tank water into a bucket and placed the rock in there and used Joe's juice on them. Once I was done, I dumped the bucket, syphoned more water in, rinsed the rock off again and placed it in the tank.

I did this over the weekend so I can't say that I haven't spread them out... But all the aiuptasia I hit with the Joe's Juice are gone now.

WetWebMedia has lots of good reading on Aiptasia...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

Hope this helps ;)

NateHanson said:
I'd worry about how a strong base would affect the tank pH. Are you thinking about putting an NaOH pellet on the aptasia? I can't imagine that would have a measurable effect on the tank pH.

I am thinking about using a NaOH solution..

I have had good luck with peppermint shrimps. I used Joe's Juice then put 2 peppermint shrimps. No more aiptasia in my tank.

I use muriatic acid in a syringe, straight up, directly injected. Works on aiptasia, mushrooms, zoos... :)

dz6t said:
I used Kalk water but Aiptasia keep coming back.

Can I use a stronger base like NaOH to kill them?

Thanks
Dong,
Don't know about that. But I have had great results with just boiling water. injected of course.

Back