using dried coral as decorations

KJB

BRS Member
I just picked up some really cool pieces of dried coral ( thanks again meanfish). I spent a couple hours dry fitting the pieces with my Marco rock, some live tonga branch, etc. I have what I think is gong to be an incredible (JMHO) aquascape. I was blown away by how nice it came out. Now I have a few things to set up before I start mounting the dried corals, etc, and putting it in the tank to "re-cycle". I will FW soak, and dry them, the usual prep for tank deco's.

I was looking around the net last night getting some info on aquascape, epoxy's and stuff and came across info on using dried corals in your tank. They said it is a really bad idea as they are "tough to keep clean, and need a lot of maintenance". I have seen dried corals used in some outstanding display tanks and they purple up, etc. It seems like a good idea.....anyone have reasons why it's not?

Thanks

BTW> this is a FOWLR tank

basically if you don't mind the corals getting different types of algae on them then i dont see why you cant use them. but i would assume that keeping them sparkling white like they probably are now is a real PITA.

Kind of sounds like you found some old advice that's more related to fish only systems.

If you want the dried corals to stay bright white, they won't unless you regularly remove and bleach them.

If you don't bleach them, Coral skeletons will become live rock in a reef system.

I had some plastic corals way back when I started my tank as more FOWLR and after the algae built up on it it looked quite real...

It will eventually just get coraline all over it and would look cool IMO...

I had some plastic corals way back when I started my tank as more FOWLR and after the algae built up on it it looked quite real...

It will eventually just get coraline all over it and would look cool IMO...

This depends on how low a nutrient level you run in a FO system. IF the nutrients are too high, you will get algae buildup instead of coraline.
M.

how do I keep nutrient levels low?

I may enrich some of their mysis, but I will also be running carbon 24/7 (after cycling is 100%). I am currently using two varied micron filter pads at the inlet of the sump. and before the return. I will also be using a ASM G1 (eventually). I have a fuge in the middle of my sump with LS, LR, and 2 large balls of cheato. Their is appr. 20lbs LS, and will be around 60-70lbs LR in addition to the dried corals (another 7-10lbs) in the DT. I am turning over my tank/sump apprx. 8 times per hour.

I really don't need them to be white. At the moment they are light blue, beige, brown, white, and purple. Whatever color they become is okay, as long as it's not the color of....brown, green, red, or hair algae...lol

Back