Using mirror as reflector material

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
Just had a thought. I want to build a cheap and ugly reflector for a 175w SE. I was trying to think of a reflective material to use. Any reason why I couldn't cut some glass mirror to size and use that?

I would expect the salt exposure will erode whatever reflective coating is on the back of the mirror.

Weight might be an issue as well....

I'd guess the paint on the back would be fine if you had it protected from getting scuffed, but I agree that weight would be an issue. You'd have to put it together in such a way that it would hold up to it's own weight. And making an efficient shape would probably be tough without cutting a dozen individual facets of glass.

I think the material would be fine though. Just has a couple practical issues.

Mylar tape or adhesive sheets would work well. You can probably pick them up from an art or craft supply store.

My 55 is nestled in between 3 walls I used to keep mirrors along the side and back of it (the 12x12 squares). The mirror coating did eventually start to peel off. maybe if you protected them it might work.
I have also glued mirror to things and the glues ate through the backing. If you are going to glue them I would check out mirror mastic and see if it can be used in this case.

Think you might have a heat issue with regular mirrors to worry about also, if you were not careful about the distance from the bulb I could see them cracking if splashed.

Last edited:
i used reflective tin flashing....

not the best, but it has some reflecting capabilities.

Back