Want to hear about your opinion regarding external vs internal pumps

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I will like to hear about your opinion regarding external vs internal pumps.
I am not referring to DC pumps.One thing I am aware of is that direct drive external pumps are more efficient, such as the some Reeflo .
But what about those magnetic drive external pumps such as Little Giant, how are those compare to internal pumps such as Mag drive?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Whatever you end up getting, buy two. Either keep one as a backup or maybe use two at half the output of one.

I arrived home today to find my return pump was dead. Nothing died, nothing was even closed. I only noticed because I saw that my sump had a lot of water. Maybe I got lucky and the pump died right before I arrived home.

Anyway, I rushed to Petco to buy a return pump at 8pm.

Back ups are crucial in this hobby . I just started up my reeflow dart/snapper maybe a month ago and will be getting another soon just in case . By the way that pump alone is running 2 210 tanks a 40 breeder and does great . I have a 50 breeder I am going to have as refugiam running on a mag 9.5 with ball valve at half . mag 7 probably better for that tank and might switch it . The jebao DC pumps , well , they are ok . I think they lack the Ummph maybe on one floor under tank they are better

IME a good iwaki MD pump is about 1000% more solid and reliable than any submersible. Of course that bullet proof performance comes at a price in initial cost and BIG electricity consumption.

Otherwise, I'm with you on liking the newer china made DC pumps so far, but definately waiting on the long term reliability reports to start coming in, in a few years.

I have a Blue Line 55 on my 120 and love it. It is plumbed into a manifold and runs all my reactors, with no issues. I should look into the maintenance on it. I turned it on 4yrs ago, and it has never had an issue. No leaks, no noise, and no added heat to the water. I use to have a Mag9 on my 75, and it worked fine. The only issue other than the added heat was after a while if it was turned off, it wouldn't come back on so I knew it was time to clean. I still love and use my Mag pumps, but after having this I would never go back to a submersible, unless it was a small tank.

Back