what does high end coral means

reef87

Non-member
I sometimes do see people call their corals are high end stuffs. not sure what they mean when they say high end.
is it because it's easy to grow?
hard to keep them?
or they can easily turn brown or turn white?
and who can categorize them as high, medium or low? what are acceptance criteria to be considered as high end or low end corals

thanks

Last edited:
High end means more rare and higher priced
Low end means your common stuff and average pricing.

Supply mainly determine the price and the rating of the corals. The more rare it is, the more "high end" it becomes.

Agree with both......good colors, low supply, sometimes slow growers, new to the market, some guys name etc etc all go into the pricing.

Doesn't mean that average corals are not just as cool but they are more readily available. For instance, I have a green slimer and love it but it grows 2" a day so it isn't very rare :)

lol, I almost posted the exact same thing and then stopped. Agree though, just because it isn't "high end" doesn't make it less cool. unless it is anthelia. lol. I have an electric green pavona encrusting my back glass. grows retarded fast and is cheap. It looks awesome though.

Usually a very slow grower and nice colors is high end.
I think even Xenia would be high end if it grew incredibly slow.:p

IME/IMO "high end" means that someone will pay a lot more for it, and or someone expects someone else to pay a lot more for it.

Logically anything super attractive AND very slow growing would be "high end". That said, trends ebb and flow in this hobby and sometimes the super hot coral of the season isn't so hot 6 months or a year later. Take purple death plays, they were very expensive and desirable at one point, but then it turned out that they are hardy and fast growing and in a couple of years the supply drove prices down a LOT. Or Tyree green toadstools, same story, big bucks for a while, but gradually they became commonplace and much less expensive because they are hardy and easy to propagate.

In the end it's supply and demand, who's willing to pay what.

Answer.... NO SUCH THING ! ! !

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

all just a gimmick `to charge more money...started by hobbyists...

all falls back to supply and demand....

IMO, it is the absolute worst thing to happen to this hobby....In the last 25 years, it is the single thing that has discouraged me the most about the direction this hobby/industry has gone.

Usually a very slow grower and nice colors is high end.
I think even Xenia would be high end if it grew incredibly slow.:p

xenia used to be the high end back years ago, they did not ship well and people could not keep them alive for long back then...well, when GSP was something to be proud of

Designer corals/High end = marketing strategy

Works great until Dong floods the market with the coral you paid @$100 a 1"frag plus $36buck for shipping. Oh and he had a clearing house sale for $10bucks

Although that is not as common as it used to be.

Last edited:
I have a piece of FF's AA frog skin....... Let me know when you have it for $10 dong, I'll give you all the pearlberry frags you want :)

I saw frog legs in Chinese buffet, never try frog skin though. They have frog sashimi in Japan and that is some acquired taste...

As long as you are willing to pay top dollar why would they sell it for less. and the thinking is like having the best cel phone. Well as soon as you have it it is old news in less than six months.

I should design Selling corals on a subscription model, like software so you always have the latest greatest. Obviously there would be tiers of "Quality". With Tiered "Quality" one person last months greatest would be the next persons new greatest and by the time they went through the cycle they would have a tank crash or be out of the hobby.

Back