What is the best practice for stacking rock in a nano reef?

Duckieluck

Non-member
Some background of the tank:

15 gallon high tank
Marineland penguin 330 filter
5 pieces of live rock 2 of which were base rock to start.
A light fixture that has one atinic and one 10,000k bulb

I am new to the reef hobby and have started to really get into corals and I was looking for ways to stack my rocks in a more natural way. The problem I'm running into is the lack of space I have since its a small tank with a small footprint and it has a lot of dead space above.

Here are some photos of my current setup any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/eD3hDCt
http://imgur.com/1RsLzmY

With a nano tank the key is to get a lot of smaller rocks and start building or one good size rock that is unique and cool looking

Thank you for the tip, I wonder if I can split my big pieces then because some have good amounts of coraline algae.

As far as the bow tie I didn't notice that until now. Haha

I had to do that I used a hammer and flat head screwdriver,I ordered pukani rock from brs and forgot to tell them the size tank and I got a few large pieces. I couldn't get a good rock scape untili broke them into small pieces. It's definitely good to have an idea of what you want it to look like though. Go on Google and search images of nano reefs for some inspiration. What's your location, if your close maybe I could help, I love aquascaping

I might have to use that technique to break up the rocks since I have 2 rather large rocks In the tank that I don't want to part with.

I searched on Google and there are a few ideas I have but I have an odd tank size that is hard to find something similar looking to compare to. Its very tall and it's hard not to have the rock scape not lean on the glass.

I am in Quincy, MA and I wouldn't mind the help this is my first coral tank I previously had a 55 gallon aggressive salt tank. This is quite different from that and I'm still learning the ways reef systems work.

Looks like your off to a good start. Also looks like your trying to be too symmetrical tho, I would do as suggested above and search nano tank aquacapes to get some ideas. I find that smaller tanks are more difficult to make look natural too tho.good luck and keep the pics coming!

Looks good but I do not like the "V" in the middle, my opinion. I have a two rocks with a bridge between them for LPS and SPS on the two thirds of the left side and a single rock on the right for zoas that I don't want spreading over to the LPS and SPS side. After 25 years I've figured out which corals can be a royal PITA as far as spreading very quickly.

Back