What is the limit of soft coral stock

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
How many soft coral can I fit in a 55 gallon tank? I know sps and LPS need space but how about softies? Do they contribute to bio-load?

Thanks

I think some softies can sting other corals, but I'm not sure. But I know they do NOT contribute to bio-load.

I don't think they need to be considered for bioload, but many softies secrete compounds which can be harmful to other corals, as a territorial defense mechanism. I think these secretions become more intense if there's contact between incompatible species, so space would be an issue similar to SPS.

From my experience alot of softies can touch each outher without problems. Some of the leathers though can be a bit toxic to some other leathers. Also, I think my anthelia is toxic to one of my finger leathers. In my softy tank, everything is touching. Try it and if you see continually closed polyps on one of them then move that coral to a different spot. How many can you have - however many you can cram in the tank. Good luck :)

Sherry

I would plan for softies much the same way you'd plan for sps.
They will contribute to your overall bioload, as they respire at night just as fish would. They wouldn't nearly require as much "calcium /alkalinity" load, so you could probably get away without a CA reactor on the tank, but a kalkwasser drip would still be recommended.

I'm interpreting your use of "bioload" as it figures into the demand of an efficient skimmer. You will most assuredly need a good skimmer if you're intending on keeping soft corals. They produce a lot of slime and emit a lot of toxins.

They also can take up more space quicker than sps can. So, plan accordingly.

softies dont count towards bioload....but as stated before you have to know your creatures because what they secreate can help, harm, kill other ; fish, inverts, and corals...

so mainly just know what you are putting in.

also their tentacles can sting depending on what type...now I dont think softies hunt other softies..has anyone seen a softy eat andother softy?

i'd be shocked if softies can't contribute to the overall waste in a closed system.
they may not have a significant impact on your bioload but its not uncommon to see a toadstool or others "shed" as the are aclimated to a new system. have you ever smelled a shedding leather coral? or a fresh frag?
its worse than skimmate.

as for keeping them, i have all sorts of softies packed in my 92 on top of each other and as long as they have light they do great.

Thanks guys.

Here comes another question:

Does BTA count toward overall bio-load? My BTA eats and poops every day.
Is that true that only 1 BTA per tank?

Thanks

i had over 25 BTA's in a stocked 125g tank.
i have yet to see a BTA poop. are you sure its not expelling food from overfeeding? hey who knows mayb you'll get your clownfish back :D

All the animals in our systems contribute to bio-load. Some more than others. They all eat and have waste.

May be I will get BOTH of them back.
Well, it poops from the mouth and I went read a book and it is the way supposed to be.

Back