what kind of fish in 40g

saltdiscus

Non-member
I already have a pair of clowns. no coral only live rock. what are other fish I can keep and how many? thanks. it's 40 gallon

There are lots of answers to this question. Do you plan to get coral? Do you have a top or will you put a top on the tank? What fish do you like? How many will be a controversial area. I can give you this advise don't add a bunch of fish at once it changes the bio load and can cause a mini cycle and/or other issues.

There is no inch per gallon rule in saltwater like there is in fresh so it's hard to give a set number. Like the above advise give more info on your plans for the tank. Gobies, pygmy cherub angels(I have he doesn't bother anything) firefish , some chromis, possum wrasse, cardinal fish etc are some you might like.

so I can put more than 4 fish in a 40 gallon tank. I do plan to have coral in future when the tank gets fully established. I have cover and 65*2 watt pc lights. is this light enough or do I need to upgrade to t5.

i would upgrade to t5's with pc's you will be really limited on coral you can keep. Again the number depends on the fish you put in.

I would upgrade to T5 or other quality lighting option. People with salt usually make a screen top for the tank. Hoods or glass tops are usually not used. Since you plan to have coral that will narrow your choice down unless you want to risk coral being eaten or damaged. Yes it is possible to have more than 4 fish in your tank but you rock work, size of fish and such will determine the #. Take a look at fish selling sites and go through the different kinds and see what you like then people here can possibly help and say yay or nay and you should have this many or less of those etc.

What do you have for filtration on the tank? That is important in figuring out what you can keep as well. It really comes down to what will get along and how much bioload it can handle. In my 40 I have a pair of clowns, pair of bangai cardinals, 3 pajama cardinals, yellow coris wrasse, and a sunburst anthias. My tank is plumbed into my 140g display and 100g sump and I have a skimmer that is rated for about 450g so I am not too concerned with bioload and more concerned with are they going to fight in a small space.

I tend to keep 3-4 fish in a 29 gallon (+15 sump). But, it is all about the type of fish, how much waste they produce, and how good your filtration is. I have 2x clowns, 1x midas blenny, 1x 6-line wrasse.

T5 lights would also be great. You'd be ok with a 4xT5 fixture. That would support many softy corals while keeping the bulb, fixture, and electric budget down. But in this hobby we like to think 'more is better'. 6x bulbs would be great and is very flexible. I wouldn't do 8x bulbs unless you think you really need the extra watts. Some people scream that you have to go big. But ultimately you'll end up paying for bulbs and electricity that you may not need for the critters you keep.

Myself. I use a single 1x175w halide without any T5's on my 29gal. But I keep anemones, and 8xT5HO's are far bulkier than a single hanging halide pendant. But, the elec bill certainly did go up :) My new tank... soon to be put in... and it's related electric bill is going to shock the wife. I don't think she realizes it yet... and I fear telling her LOL. 3x 250w halides, 4x T5's, with LED moonlights.

A GREAT plan is to add a sump w/skimmer and maybe a reactor for carbon/gfo mix. The heater can go down there too. Best thing I did for my tank. You'll find it opens up the display, keeps the water parameters far more stable, and you now have extra room for more live rock (and chaeto). I like to cram live rock in the sump, and try to reduce the amount in the display to open things up for the fish. Plus allows for some leeway with how you do your rockscape.

A 20 gallon long tank with a few baffles siliconed in would be an excellent size I'd think. But anything is better than nothing. So if you can only fit a 15g or a 10g. Then that is fine too. Also.. go with a drilled overflow... the hang on back ones are convenient to start, but I hate mine. Always an eye on the tank for fear of a flood.

It depends if you are running a skimmer or not. If you aren't, go with the 1 inch (adult) per gallon. If you are, it will depend on how good the skimmer is. You may be able to stock 10 small fish like chromis, pseudos, wrasses, clowns, dartfish and damsels.

Do not stock tangs or triggers though. They need more room to swim...

Back