What's the best deal you ever got on livestock in retail?

I got a 12" green carpet nem for 19.99 at petco a couple years back, It grew to about 18" an ate a Yellow tang, I in turn traded it in at a place with whom I will never do business again.. I got 80.00 in trade, They then SOLD it for 350.00.... so IMO vendors are doing just fine

^+1

I agree.

I bought 5 nassarius snails yesterday. When I got home, there were 6 in the bag.

Best deal i've gotten.. Lol.

No but really, everytime I go to Underwater World, I get the best deals ever IMO and no that is not a name drop or advertisement for them. Just saying.

And to the person saying this hurts the vendors...

There's two views to that:

1.) If the vendor messes up the price, that's their mistake, not mine and thus they can pay for it and learn from their mistakes.

2.) Sometimes vendors lower the price due to lack of sale to lower than what something is really worth, but even then, they rarely lower it to less than what they paid for it.

Yes, it's tough to be in the marine sales hobby because you barely make profit compared to what you pay for some things,
BUT...

When you sell a 3 head hammer coral for $100 that you got from your supplier for $20, that's a pretty legitimate profit.

The sellers who know their stuff and double check every price and every piece to know what it is and what it's worth, those are the successful ones.

B from Unique Aquaria, Greg from Underwater World, and the guy from CRA just to name a few, know their stuff 100% and aren't gonna go bankrupt anytime soon. Not saying they're filthy rich, but there's a reason why price mistakes come from Petco and not from a legitimate LFS.

Last edited:
OK in PetCos defence if I did a order and something came in "KILLER" I had my list of my reg custmers. Can't tell you how much texting has helped my sales !! I could sell a fish with in mins till people started showing up for delevery. Those are the people I love best !! This is what I ordered this week and/or what are you looking for ?? As far as hurting the vender. PetCo has NO WAY close to the aquatic teams that they need. How to train the staff. They sent me to a "Aquatics Class" I fell a sleep I think i was the only fish person there. After getting yelled at by a 20 something manager who wouldn't know a angelfish from a goldfish. She just wanted the tanks clean and stop showing off my sales. Not showing off if your selling your stock off fast. When the manager bought the teacher to the store and trying to touch my area I had to eat him alive. Yes Im a true A personalty. I work weekdays/nights weekends holidays. 50 hrs was nothing working a "males" job. Sorry girls you know its true don't know y it just is. And then the CEO's show up and love you for your sales. You show them issues and it goes in one ear out the other ... or my fav when they started "Were all going to carry the same thing" :: Why should I be punished cause your not teaching right. But its just a lose to them a simple write off. I was shocked and what some of the stores wrote off. All they get is a email knock it off and figure it out. Want a shock check out a PetCo's Vet bill rotfl. I had to mice to the vets cause they " looked sick " . Or explain that your DEATHLY allergic to rabbits that I carry a epy pen on me. You never know who has one. But I do still love them. And the manager tells you to take them to the vets.

LOVE Greg and Andy from UnderWater world. UnderWater World has its own nitch. The old owner use to drive to florida, New Jersey to hand pick fish, corals etc. I know Greg and Andy go for hand pick shopping time to time still but dont know how far they go. Use to HATE those late night calls "We'll be @ the store in 10 mins" Yea I only live 45 mins from there np.

years ago I got a pair of yasha gobies for 17.99 each (didnt know what they were looking at apart from the fish being a goby). at the time I think they were something crazy like $70 or 80 each. dont blame me if the shop wants to have an uninformed staff that doesnt know their product. i guess it was justice when later they went carpet surfing a couple weeks apart. little buggers were very skidish.

I walked in to the LFS in NY a few years ago when a guy was pricing corals. I asked about a piece and he said $15. I asked if he was sure and he said yes. I bought it it was a 15 head iron man blasto colony. I sadly lost it a fee months ago when my heater cooked my tank.

I had a pretty good one from Tropic Isle. Bought a Red Bubble Tip Anemone, listed for $65, got it for $50, brought it home, the next day I wake up... and it split into 2! So I ended up getting 2 for $50, not bad at all.

March 2011, I went into a not very well kept LFS in RI, they had a severely malnourished, miscolored, and ich/HLLE afflicted Purple Tang... I got him for 40 dollars, the original cost to the store I was told... He is currently swimming around in my display and looking incredible from nose to tail... I will never give up on this fish, he is literally part of my family now, lol :)

March 2011, I went into a not very well kept LFS in RI, they had a severely malnourished, miscolored, and ich/HLLE afflicted Purple Tang... I got him for 40 dollars, the original cost to the store I was told... He is currently swimming around in my display and looking incredible from nose to tail... I will never give up on this fish, he is literally part of my family now, lol :)

That is great!

In the past spring, I got a 6"h by 3"w Rainbow Granulose for $25. This is one the the best looking corals in my tank.

My buddy got a sweet deal on a green BTA from a LFS. The thing was wasting away in the tank, looked like it would be dead within the week. He spoke to them about it, presented his case, and got the anemone for a fistfull of dollars.
The thing recovered beautifully. Best looking green BTA I've ever seen in person.
I think it was lost years later.

picked up 40 heads of neon green shrooms, 2in powder blue tang 30ilbs of awesome live rock, and a skunk cleaner shrimp for 200 today:)

the shrooms are on 2 rocks that weigh 5 pounds together and the LFS gave them to me for free! they broke down a customers tank and they got to keep all the coral so they said i could have a peice or two because of my moms screw up.... she added a puffer to my tank as a suprise and boy was it a suprise......thing ate 2 snails a hermit and nipped at my tang

Gee, the best deal I ever got... hmmmm.

There was an older gentleman named Norm that was trying his hand at opening a store front for saltwater in Watertown.

He was trying to go from a tank maintenance company to selling livestock.

I became friendly helping him out with his computers a little because he was not too computer savvy.

So after about a year in business he decided to close the doors and called me up one day.

He said come down and take what ever you want from the tanks. I felt a little funny doing that as I was helping him, because that is the type of person I am. I was not looking for anything in return.

I ended up with with (2)Percula Clowns, (1)Sailfin Tang and a couple of damsels for free. I still have the clowns and damsels three years later.

Back