Who is keeping a SPS dominated reef under T5 exclusively?

I run a Tek system with 4 54w t-5's and have a crocea clam and Anomies. If I had an 8-bulb system I could do SPS. Would it be as bright as 432w worth of MH? I also think so to a point. I saw an 8 bulb Tek system next to 500w of double-ended MH with actinics during a reefer's moving sale. The T-5 was not quite as bright but it would be a problem to cram a 10-bulb system in that same footprint to equal the same wattage. In my eyes the T-5 was brighter over the entire landscape near the top of the top of the tank whereas the MH was able to punch the bottom of the tank due to its brighter smaller area of concentrated light. Scoff if you like as it's just my observation and I do not have SPS to back it up.
Rich

I'm a little skeptical,,,,,

Indeed! They seem to advocate ATI lamps. From what I have read they are credited for the success of the system.

when I was T5 only, there weren't alot of choices for bulbs...ATI was one of the only bulbs consistent with there par and spectrum. I think there are alot of bulbs coming out of China factories now...haven't checked in a while.

i saw a tank at jeremy[cra] place had 8 t5 on one of his tanks. do not remember witch tank it was.i think it was over his reef tank. not to sure

I have a 6 bulb t5 fixture and do fine with certain sps corals. In fact better than my friend with a 500 watt maristar mh.

I'm useing 4 t'5 overdriven w/icecapp.not keeping sps exclusively,just a little of everything.my clam is couldn't be happier.

Back