Woke up to a flood this morning - need some help!

nickyblase

Non-member
Hopefully everyone isn't at NERAC right now - I need some help.

Woke up to a flood this morning, and when I was trying to re-fill the sump, discovered the reason for all the water on the floor was a HUGE crack on the back of the sump! No idea how it got there, but now I've got to get a new sump.

Only problem is that I'd like now to go with a larger sump than I had before if I can swing it. I had a 10g (display is a 38G w/a 36" AGA stand).

I've got a 20H that I'm going to try to use - but I think the only way I'll be able to get it in there is if I temporarily cut out either the front of back vertical center brace. Does anyone know if they are load bearing?

If they are and I can't do it this way, does anyone know what else I should use for a sump?

Thanks!

nicky you could quite easily use a rubber maid? many sizes available. plus I have a few 20 longs if you need 1.

I've looked for rubbermaids, and haven't been too lucky yet. Will keep trying though. Thanks Garry.

If I am unlucky finding one today, I may pm you for one of those 20 long's.

You may be able to temporarily drain the water out, set the tank aside and quickly slip the 20h down through the top. I did this a couple times with my 20g nano and there were no problems. It was only empty for a couple minutes. I left the rock etc in place and a couple inches of water for the fish. Of course this is not an option if the stand has a center brace.

FWIW though, a 20 long would probably make a better sump than a 20h.

Steve

crap - just measured, and because of those vertical supports, I can't fit a 12" deep tank, limiting me to either another 10g or a 15 tall. Anyone happen to have a 15 tall kicking around? :)

think it would be possible to use epoxy on the inside and/or outside of the crack? Since it's just a sump, I don't really care how pretty it is.

What are the dimensions you have available for a sump? At this point though, your best bet might be to run to your LFS and grab a new tank.

nickyblase said:
crap - just measured, and because of those vertical supports, I can't fit a 12" deep tank, limiting me to either another 10g or a 15 tall. Anyone happen to have a 15 tall kicking around? :)

I have a 15tall sitting here doing nothing.
Its a ride from maine, but if you need it, its here.

Kenn

I'll call the LFS up here and see what they've got. I may just run sumpless for a couple days. I've added another ph in the display for some more flow. May add another.

Kenn - you going to the meeting next weekend?

Back