Yet, another New Guy from NH

NHman

Non-member
Greeting to all!

I am new to this forum and somewhat new to tanks as well. My interest started about 5-6 years back to start a saltwater tank. This led me to begin working with the LFS. After both looking at the start-up cost and reading about the investment in time, I simply decided that I was not ready to take a “plunge” into the hobby. While the idea still remained in my head it wasn’t until a recent chance visit to a different LFS that I decided to move forward. This was back in January. I now have a 75 gal saltwater reef tank. Since that time I have added “some” livestock, LPS and softies.

Present List

• Pair B&W ocellaris clownfish
• Blue spotted watchman goby w/ companion pistol shrimp
• Dwarf flame anglefish
• Exquisite wrasse
• Scott’s fairy wrasse
• Yellow fin fairy wrasse
• Algae blenny
• Midas blenny
• Fire shrimp
• Cleaner shrimp
• Serpent sea star
• Sand shifting star
• Pink sea star
• Feather dusters (2)
• Coco worms (3)
• Red brain
• Green bubble tip anemone
• Clams (2)

Lost

• Blue spotted jaw fish (2), my favorite, this one hurt.
• The first male B&W clown
• Purple fire fish (I think the watchman is to blame)

I stumbled upon the forum a few days ago and have already learned a lot. I am still new to the hobby but hopefully I can contribute as I gain experience.

I have been working exclusively with Jay’s Aquatics. If it wasn’t for Jay, I probably would still be thinking about the idea of having a tank.

Regards,
NHman

PS: Pictures to follow

Hello and welcome to the BRS! :)

Sounds like you're a wrasse fan, same here. If your Scott's and Exquisite are males, they may lose much of their beautiful color without females or juveniles of the same species in there with them, just FYI. I have not seen that to be the case with all male wrasses but we did experience that long ago with those two particular wrasse.

David and I also tried the blue spotted jawfish, absolutely no luck with them, I would not try them again, it broke my heart as well when they died. From doing some research, they don't seem to have the best survival rate in our systems. We now have a pearly jawfish that has been doing great for a few months now, we plan to get her a friend, the pearlys are much hardier than the blue spotteds IMO/IME.

Good luck, you will get lots of great info and help here and Jay (Jay's Aquatics) is a great guy BTW! :)

Back