Zoa ids pls

sumant19

BRS Member
I have these zoas for a while in my aquarium but never figured out what there names are... i tried zoaid.com but i am still not 100% certain. Could you please id them?

1. I guess they are gorilla nipples
DSC_0047_zps27fd2e45.jpg

2. I have no idea what they are
DSC_0006_zps0b052890.jpg

3. I have no idea about them too :-(
DSC_0253_zpsff51835b.jpg

#2 looks like some I just got. They were called Fire and Ice. I do not put much stock in these names though. Call them what you want.

Those are totally ugly, you should give them to me, I would suffer and keep them in my tank! LOL
Great looking Zoa! I dont really pay too much attention to fancy names I just buy what I like as far as colors.
Those are great looking Zoa

Not all zoos are named.

2. looks like a washed out morph of rastas, definitely not fire and ice

1 & 3 - no idea, probably just beautiful unnamed ones!

Coralpedia.com has a ton of named zoanthid photos - check the albums there to see if you can find anything that is similar.

Ugh, zoa names.... As has been said, collect what you think looks nice and don't get too caught up in names. The whole name thing has gotten absolutely silly. Go through zoaid.com and really look, there several that have numerous "ID's" that are really the same thing. In particular it seems that fire and ice have been named about 5 different names, rastas about 3-4, BamBams probably 2-3, and the main differences are in the photography and the very slight variations that normally occur in a single natural colony. It's really unfortunate, naming zoas began from a few people aquiring really outstanding morphs and the names they made up because they were really special and desirable morphs. Next zoaid.com popped up and everyone started naming everything even mildly special. Then everyone started picking up random zoas from the LFSs and then trying to match them to established names (like as if there are really only 30-40 naturally occuring zoa morphs). Now the names have become virtually meaningless because they are so watered down soooo many average looking morphs have been "ID'd" as whatever brand name due to some vauge similarity. If it originated from a $50 colony of 100 polyps from the LFS, it's probably not really "super duper extra icy rasta dreads" that go for $5 a polyp. If they were, they never would have left LA to be sold wholesale as everyday zoa colonies, they would be on one of the high end websites for $5-10 a polyp.

Those pics all look nice. Pic #2 is far from rastas or fire and ice. If anything I'd guess it's closest (in terms of zoaid IDs) to kryptonite or neon green. #3 maybe pretty similar to blowpop?

They are all nice. If you trade or sell, go by your pics and forget the names. These days it's the only reliable way.

Sorry for the rant, and it's not directed at anyone, just the whole name thing in general.

Sorry for the rant, and it's not directed at anyone, just the whole name thing in general.
NP.. point taken.. I also go by the color and apparent health of the zoas when buying them.. but I thought that is because I am not super expert in coral names... but looks like there is lot of ambiguity when naming the zoas.. so I will stop my quest to find exact names :)

Back