Zoa/paly discussion

s_kelley

BRS Member
Ok so I picked up a bunch of frags today and want some advice on what works for everyone in terms of zoa/paly's. What do people recomend For the best growth/spread in your tanks
And.......go.........

I have found that it is a bit variable depending on the "type". Although if I had to generalize, I would say mine tend to prefer a little less light than my LEDs provide. I say this because a lot of them seem to grow more on the sides of rocks (vs on top). Also remember that they can be a pain to remove so if you have some that are good growers but are not your favorite, don't put them out front. :)

And gals :) ... I have mine under a 6 bulb T5. Some like the high spots others like the bottom. You will get to know their personalities fairly quick. I keep my zoas and paly's on softball size rocks so that they are easy to move and redecorate. Plus my pair of clowns host in my utter chaos colony so keeping their rock mobile helped when I moved tanks.

Mine love a good squirt of reef-roids and coral frenzy that I mix together with some vitamins and broadcast feed my 90 mixed reed about 1-2 times a week. They are hands down one of my favorite corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize, didn't mean to leave anyone out, certainly not the gals. I appreciate the info. I use coral frenzy too and it seems to do a good job my gorgonian especially loves it. I'll have to look for reef roids tho. Love to see a pic of the utter chaos colony w clowns too

with my 48" 8 bulb t5 lighting on my old 90 I usually didn't have much luck with anything in the top 25% of the tank. The less maintenance I did on this tank, the better my zoa/palys did. They seem to love "dirtier" water in my opinion

Be careful with your info you share with Shane, he is in the grow out contest, at the Dec 5th meeting, and it is awesome zoas this time. I think he is looking to win. JK with you Shane...

Didn't think of that Michelle lol
When I had my 92 corner set up the zoa used to grow like weeds.
Didn't matter what type it was weird but the whole bottom of the tank was covered.
All I had was a single 400w 20k radium
Now that I have the shallow 60 they only do ok but seldom spread or multiply.
Thinking maybe too much light but everything else seems to be happy

Here's my UC and clown. The snowflakes sleeps on the bottom and the occilaris flops her body on top.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448721709.575226.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back