Zoa tank

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
If you are out to setup a tank for zoas only, how are you going to design it? DSB? lighting? water flow? Any idea welcome.

If it was strictly zoanthids, I'd go cheap on the lighting and just use NO (normal output) flourescents.

That is something I want know. Thanks Moe. More input please. By the way, the tank is a standard 55 gallon now only with a sand bed in it. Besides zoas, I also want to have some mushroom in it. That is pretty much what I want to put into the tank. I plan to add a yellow tang in it just to brighten up the tank.

Last edited:
Moe_K said:
If it was strictly zoanthids, I'd go cheap on the lighting and just use NO (normal output) flourescents.

Really??? Wow...I was thinking of doing the same thing. We are setting up our 29 again, and the kids wanted a nano in their rooms. Getting the shrooms, zoas and other low light stuff out of the "big" tank. I was thinking VHO, because I have an ice660 laying around.

You think you can get away with NO?? When would you have to start looking at VHo or PCs or the like?

-Linda

I think the zoas would be more colorful under more intense light. I've noticed that mine lose a little bit of color under my PCs when they were kept in MHs before.

dz6t said:
That is something I want know. Thanks Moe. More input please. By the way, the tank is a standard 55 gallon now only with a sand bed in it. Besides zoas, I also want to have some mushroom in it. That is pretty much what I want to put into the tank. I plan to add a yellow tang in it just to brighten up the tank.
I kept shrooms and zoos in a 55 with 4 NO bulbs over the top. I probably didn't even need that many. I had both zoanthids and mushrooms grow inside my HOT Magnum filter. In there, they got no light.
Here's a pic:

Last edited:
Aquadiva said:
Really??? Wow...I was thinking of doing the same thing. We are setting up our 29 again, and the kids wanted a nano in their rooms. Getting the shrooms, zoas and other low light stuff out of the "big" tank. I was thinking VHO, because I have an ice660 laying around.

You think you can get away with NO?? When would you have to start looking at VHo or PCs or the like?

-Linda
When you want to keep more light-demanding corals, then you'll need an upgrade in lighting. Sorry there isn't a more simple answer. I'd want VHO or PC lights for most LPS or leather corals. There are exceptions to this, though.

If you have the Icecap lying around, fire up the VHOs.

Do you think the depth of the tank will have anything to do with it? A 55 is pretty deep, will NO lights penetrate that deep?

For zoanthids and shrooms? No it won't matter.
They grew in the darkness of my cannister filter.
They grew in my 55 w/ N.O. lights. They'll gorw in the next person's 55 w/ N.O. lights.
For more light-demanding corals, yeah, it'll matter.

Last edited:
When I look at the infamous GRAF site, they use NO light too.

Heavy skimming, light skimming or no skimming at all?
What kind of flow do I need?

Thanks

Ya gotta beat algae, so you're gonna want adequate skimming.
I just used 4 powerheads for flow.

I just set up a 37 gal cube for my zoa's, mushrooms and a few other softies. I am using PC w/actinics) for lighting....and love the color it pulls out of the corals.
I am not using any powerheads....just relying on my return to bring flow to the tank.

I am setting up a 20 long with 20 watts NO in school and will have some zoas and shrooms in there, will they survive? judging by what is said in this thread I think I know.

LauraD said:
I just set up a 37 gal cube for my zoa's, mushrooms and a few other softies. I am using PC w/actinics) for lighting....and love the color it pulls out of the corals.
I am not using any powerheads....just relying on my return to bring flow to the tank.

Laura,

Are you running a skimmer on that tank? If so, which one?

-Linda

except my 55 moe...tank of doom theory! :)

Moe_K said:
For zoanthids and shrooms? No it won't matter.
They grew in the darkness of my cannister filter.
They grew in my 55 w/ N.O. lights. They'll gorw in the next person's 55 w/ N.O. lights.
For more light-demanding corals, yeah, it'll matter.

Clamm, ???
what happen to your 55? you had a 55?

CHeck out reef central. They have a Zoanthid forum. Most of the guys on their say Zoos will grow in pretty mcuh anything, but they grow MUCH faster under MH.

Back