Zoanthids are closed up

SeaCilla1212

Non-member
I have a rock covered in dragon green eyes and watermelons. They were doing great. But that last two days I noticed that they have been like really closed up tight and aren't opening at all. Any ideas on what could be wrong with them?

Ph-8.3. Ammonia-0. Nitrite-0. Nitrate-10. Phos-0.25. Alk-11. Calcium-400. Salt-1.025. I'm just starting out so these r the best numbers my tank has ever seen. So I know it can't be my numbers

What sort of flow are these getting? They seem to love constant current. I had the same sort of thing happen when I first started a reef. Would put zoas in, they would look great for a week or two, then close up or just barely open. Figured I had some parameter they didn't like. Bought a few different types and had the same results. Was later told to hit them with a strong current. They all opened within a couple of days. Now I have too many. If that's possible...

Any white specks on them? Either being nudibranchs or their eggs?
Also, do you by chance have asterina starfish? (The little white ones).
Some species of asterina have been known to eat zoanthids, though AFAIK no distinguishing visual characteristics have been discovered to confirm which ones do or don't.

EDIT: Just read WrasseFan's post as well.
Alk issues could indeed bother the zoanthids into closing, whether it be low ALK, high, or a general swing.

So in a nutshell, quite a few things could be the cause, rule out what you can first and go from there.

Last edited:
Where in the tank should they be I got the basically all over this little rock and I put in on the sand bed close to a big rock

I put zoas at all levels of my tank and never really have an issue with them. It's weird they are all closed up. But I agree that it may have to do with the alk problem you had.

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? What do you have for flow? These things will help people in the future in regards to placement suggestions.

You could add your tank specs to your signature if you wanted.

Back