zoanthids toxicity, please read

richardong

Non-member
For zoanthids/paly lovers, please read this and try to use glove when handle the corals. I been handling zoas and palys without wearing glove but I did feel a numb on my fingers once a while. Never think its a big deal. After read the thread posted at reefcentral about the toxicity and the affect, I think its worth to take a look and take every caution when handling this type of coral. Btw, I been ready some articles regarding zoas toxicity, just never really think its can be that serious.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158663

Palytoxin
The crude ethanol extracts of the Palythoa toxica proved to be so toxic that an accurate LD50 was difficult to determine. More recently, the toxicity has been determined to be 50-100 ng/kg i.p. in mice. The compound is an intense vasoconstrictor; in dogs, it causes death within 5 min at 60 ng/kg. By extrapolation, a toxic dose in a human would be about 4 micrograms. It is the most toxic organic substance known!
Shimizu [27] and Moore [28] published the chemical structure of palytoxin and it was prepared synthetically in 1989 [29,30]. Palytoxin is a fabulously interesting compound, with a bizarre structure and many extraordinary signs (Fig. 6). Palytoxin is a large, very complex molecule with lipophilic and hydrophilic areas. The palytoxin molecule has the longest continuous chain of carbon atoms known to exist in a natural product. In the molecule of palytoxin, C129H223N3O54, 115 of the 129 carbons are in a continuous chain.. There are 54 atoms of oxygen, but only 3 atoms of nitrogen. Another unusual structure of palytoxin is that it contains 64 stereogenic centers, which means that palytoxin can have 264 stereoisomers! Added to this, the double bonds can exhibit cis/trans isomerism, which means that palytoxin can have more than 1021 (one sextilion) stereoisomers! This staggering molecular complexity should indicate the difficult nature of designing a stereocontrolled synthetic strategy that will produce just the one correct (natural) stereocenter out of >1021 possible stereoisomers.
Palytoxin induces powerful membrane depolarization and ionic channeling [31,32]. Palytoxin is a potent hemolysin, histamine releaser, inhibitor of Na/K ATPase, and a cation ionophore [33]. It is also a non-TPA-type tumor promoter [34,35].

If I read the post right, it did eat them. Dead in 10 hours.....yikes!

I had a paly "squirt" right into my eye a few weeks back while fragging them. The next day, my eyeball was actually swollen and very infected.:eek: I couldn't believe the pain involved. I talked to one of the docs in the ER when I was dropping off a patient and he gave me some erythromycin cream to use. It took about a week for it to feel completely better. To this day, when I get tired, or have a few beers, that eye gets red. I'll be wearing eye protection from now on.;) No idea if I did any permanent damage. The docs have no idea what I'm talking about when I try and explain this to them either. The toxin definately absorbs transdermally. I notice a slight buzz when I don't wear gloves when fragging certain zoas or palys. That part I don't mind so much.:D

David touches everything, frags, etc., with no gloves or glasses. It drives me crazy, he's so stubborn.:rolleyes: I need to make him read this, thanks for the info Richard.

David touches everything, frags, etc., with no gloves or glasses. It drives me crazy, he's so stubborn.:rolleyes: I need to make him read this, thanks for the info Richard.

I should have taken a pic of my eye. It was pretty nasty, swollen, red and VERY painful. If I posted it, we'd all be wearing safety glasses when fragging.

I have some palys I got from a friend and I moved them in the tank one day and my throat closed up and my hands became very swollen and itchy. In addition to that let's just say I spent a large portion of my day on the toilet. Benadryl took care of it in a few hours.

Hi Don, if you post the pic you takend of the eyes, I promise will wear safety glasses when fragging :)

Gina, make sure David read it, maybe that will help to get him to consider the glove.

I wear gloves all the time now, fragging zoo's about a month back, to only have them lay me out for a day. Dave wear your Gloves... ;)

I hit the 1000 mark telling Dave to wear his gloves :)

I wear them now. I had a zoo squirt right at the water line on yo my face:eek:

I notice when fragging zoos that some release a lot more fluid than others. Dark blue and greens have been the worse for me.

Poor dog, palytoxin is not nice stuff...I always wear glasses and gloves whenever I frag corals especially zooanthids. We should always be very mindful of the potential toxic or pathogenic things inside our aquariums. Life, death and competition began in the sea. Organisms have been trying to cling to life there for eons and have evolved a dizzying array of ways to prevent becoming lunch. At the very least, make sure that you wash your arms and hands very carefully after putting them in your tank.

I do have to say that I also learned the hard way. When my LR was still curring I reached in to remove some algae and felt something sharp and pointy against my fingers. I thought it was just a bristle worm but about five minutes later my heart rate went to about 250 bpm (from about 50 normally) and my blood pressure dropped for about 2 hours. I'd been poisoned by neurotoxins in college (residual TTX penetrated a small hole my gloves) so I knew exactly what happened. I had a headache for several days.

Back