Zoas...Bottom, Middle or Top?

customclimates

Non-member
Where is the best place to keep zoos? I see a lot of the post pictures they are on the bottom of the tank. Is there any rhyme to reason? Are you all saving the prime middle/top real estate for the nicer corals? Would they do well up top of the reef about 16? under MH?

They can adapt about anywhere but most people keep them on the bottom so they do not take off out of control over the rockwork. If you plan or are already keeping SPS on the rocks, it is probably best on the sand imo.

The only zoas I have high up are my red people eaters. All the others are down low. Most zoas are not too light demanding. If you place them low and the stalks get taller, they're reaching for the light. That's a good indicator of wether or not to raise them up.

Mine on the bottom are not extending for light at all and thats on a 30" tall tank w/ the same lighting as you. I also don't want them to take over.

If they start to take over how tough are they to get out of the rock work?

Dynamite works......:rolleyes:

j/k

The polyps will need to be individually killed if you want to get rid of them, with either kalk paste or Joe's juice.......

IME a lot of them will color up better in brighter light so I try to keep them up there, but then again I don't have anything I'm worried about them irritating.

just dont touch them allot while moving them, make sure to wash your hands and no nose picking after. they contain a palytoxin and its very very bad.

I tend to put my zoas where they get good amount of light and they seems happy and color up nicely. Certain types prefer lower light to get better color. You can always put your zoas/paly on small rubble, try to put it at different locations and find the best spot for it.

Also just to throw the distinction out there, zoa's generally don't have any where near the stinging potential of palys. Also Palys are the ones notorious for being quite toxic to humans, not to say anyone should be licking their fingers after handling zoa's, but paly's are the big concern.

I'll also add, be sure to wear some kind of eye protection, especially palys. I got squirted in the eye a while back while fragging some palys and wound up with a pretty nasty and painful infection that lasted 7 or 8 days. Antibiotic cream is not a pleasant thing to have to put in your eye for 14 days straight. My eye still has some redness to this day because of it. My eyeball actually swelled. Talk about pain.:eek: Didn't help that I put off seeing a doctor for 2 days after either.

Back