Zoo police please read

they look a little odd, but probley real. but don't expect those colors. they never look that good in person.

The PPE is about right. But the others are rip off!

I'm not the official zoa police but,
FWIW/IMO PPE's are a particular color morph of a common polyp, Protopalythoa if I remember right.

I beleive that Blane Peron came up with the PPE name originally. There are inevitabally many different color morphs of Protopalythoa. I have some very bland looking Protopalythoa polyps that I'd be happy to sell for $20 a polyp (joke).

The PPE name became a big $ item once people saw them. (If I recall correctly, they became particularly hot with our club because there was a BRS group buy from Blane P at the height of the PPE craze)

There are two, more or less legitimate ways someone could call their livestock PPE's, either they are descendents of Blane Peron's original colony(s) or they look just like them and are Protopalythoa.

Obviously if Blane P got them from somewhere, there are more of the same out there somewhere also (thanks to Jovreef for pointing this out to me in the past). I would also assume that there are probabally other very similar but not exactly the same morphs out there too.

As for the polyps in the link, IMO they do at least resemble PPE's. If you feel you could trust the source you could probabally ask if they are descendents from Blane P's PPE's or if they are from another source but look (subjectively) the same.

If your not so sure you can trust the source then you really couldn't trust their word anyway. If they are (subjectively) the same, there is a lot of $ motivation to call them PPE's weather or not they are actually the same.

As far as ID'ing the pics I can't say as I don't have PPE's and don't claim to have spent any time studying them. I would also cite the well known fact that most if not all corals/polyps/exct can look very different in different systems and under different lighting.

I hope this babble on the PPE name is helpful and sorry I can't offer an opinion on the Pics.

Jov, where are you, this is a question for you?

The whole "Rare Designer Coral" thing is rediculous. I fell into it with acans and spent $80 for one head. The thing is, a LOT of people buy one of these "Rare" corals and in a very short time they are not rare and you just wasted a bunch of cash. Like I said, I paid $80 for one (actually 3/4) of a head about a year ago. Now it has about 12-15 heads on it and I could probably sell it for about $60 to someone in the club.

smcnally said:
The whole "Rare Designer Coral" thing is rediculous. I fell into it with acans and spent $80 for one head. The thing is, a LOT of people buy one of these "Rare" corals and in a very short time they are not rare and you just wasted a bunch of cash. Like I said, I paid $80 for one (actually 3/4) of a head about a year ago. Now it has about 12-15 heads on it and I could probably sell it for about $60 to someone in the club.

I agree. the ppe craze was one I fell for, I spent crazy money on a frag. I regret it.Ill never make my money back on that one.

I agree, Zoos never look good in person. But in photographs though, they do show alot of color.

I've yet to buy online zoa's that the color was properly represented in the photo. Local reefers seem to always be on the money, sometimes even better as some of us really suck at taking pics :D

dz6t said:
Found this site. Are these real? The PPE looks kinda odd.
http://www.reefenvy.com/Zoanthids.html
$100 per polyps, I think they are crazy.

The PPE's are real :) They dont look to healthy though in that pic. Gaping mouths & shrivled... I'd be worried about purchasing them, but if you want to take a chance, $40 per polyp is avarage price.

As for the envy orange... $100 per polyp!!! they are NUTS! So is the $10 per polyp of the watermelons.

The site seems pretty decent though, they give you a pic of the coral under actinics and under 10k or flash... I dunno which it was, but you can see the difference.

nitrofish said:
I agree. the ppe craze was one I fell for, I spent crazy money on a frag. I regret it.Ill never make my money back on that one.

If you were upset with your PPE's you did not get the real deal! true PPE's are amazing and they DO look just like the pics people post. (unless you have PC's only, then they will need to be at the very top to get the intense amazing color.)

I've sold a bunch of frags in the past and I've had nothing but "wow the colors are amazing" and praises like this. Never have I just had a thanks, or ehh colors are ok. This coral will stick out in your tank and glow! If you dont believe me or want to see if you got ripped off post a pic of yours or come take a look at mine!

jovreef said:
If you were upset with your PPE's you did not get the real deal! true PPE's are amazing and they DO look just like the pics people post. (unless you have PC's only, then they will need to be at the very top to get the intense amazing color.)

I've sold a bunch of frags in the past and I've had nothing but "wow the colors are amazing" and praises like this. Never have I just had a thanks, or ehh colors are ok. This coral will stick out in your tank and glow! If you dont believe me or want to see if you got ripped off post a pic of yours or come take a look at mine!

The issue isnt that they look great, its that they're $100 a polyp, and that money would be better spent elsewhere.

jovreef said:

I agree, the PPE was one of my favorites!
I miss my PPEs :(

RichConley said:
The issue isnt that they look great, its that they're $100 a polyp, and that money would be better spent elsewhere.

*choke* *cough* *gag* holy crap! even at the height of the PPE craze I've never sold them for that much... wow... you got ripped off then lol.

I will sell you a polyp of a PPE for 85$ a polyp....what a great deal....lol, J/K.
Designer frags can be a scam. Luckily during the Acan craze I was poor... I got my PPE frag from someone local and he charged me $8.00 a polyp. I got 4 polyps and have since doubled that at least...

I bought a 12 polyps frag of RPPE (red, not PPE) and the small colony double in about 3 month.

Yea, in Palys what will happen is when they are fragged they will quickly lay down a few more polpys then their growth will slow down alot. They do this because in a large colony they have enough polpys feeding and absoribing light. When they are fragged down alot they need dont have enough polyps to sustain themselves so they will quickly compensate, then when they have enough they will slow down.

ive seen 7 polyp frags sell for $300 on ebay. in my oppinion they are not that nice. if it were not for the demand id say they should be only worth $30 for a frag.

Yup those are the real deal. He's one of us that got them wayyy back before they were popular. good guy.

Back