Zoos prefer blue over white?

jdeb101

Non-member
So for a month or so two of my zoa frags have been closed, some polyps peaking open slightly every now and then. They are not melting which I suppose is a good sign, but not opening or spawning either.

One observation I've had though is that they seem to open a bit more early and late in the light period when lights (Kessil a360w) is more on the blue spectrum. I'm almost tempted make the color spectrum more blue during daytime as well. I'm just afraid of affecting other corals, despite slow growth overall in my tank. Thoughts?

I’m still old school and believe corals need a full spectrum light. I do have the blues for the dawn dusk affect and the colors do come out more.

I’m still old school and believe corals need a full spectrum light. I do have the blues for the dawn dusk affect and the colors do come out more.

I agree, and it's not question on colors but rather which spectrum the zoas like more as they are opening a bit more at dawn/dusk. If not spectrum it could also be the intensity I suppose? I just had another look and my intensity goes from low of 10 to a peak of 60.

I think you’re on to something with intensity. Try relocating them to a more shaded area and see if they open up more.

Lower light was my suggestions too. You may have it too bright for them where they are located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back