large LPS colonies

ym9854

Non-member
Before I start, I've got a 75 gal tank, 4x54W T5HO lighting, no fish, primarily an LPS tank.

I have a large frogspawn colony (30+ heads) that spherical in shape. Well, over time, I've had problems with the heads growing towards the bottom of the colony dying off. Nothing wrong with the water parameters, not brown jelly, no infections, not RTN, etc. Usually, what happens is the smaller heads toward the underside will stop opening up, and within the next week or so, they'll start disintegrating (at which point I slowly start sucking the dead tissue off with a turkey baster). The problem doesn't spread, per se. Nearby heads aren't affected, and the problem seems to be under control for a while, until the colony grows a bit larger and more underside heads start experiencing the same problem... What's even odder is that these heads that keep dying are not new, fresh, babies. They're not fully grown, but they're still developed enough to open fully to about 1.5".

My question is... Is this because the lower heads are not receiving ideal amounts of light and/or water flow? I'm trying my best to place the colony in an area of even, all-around flow, but too much water flow also seems to disturb them, where the heads won't fully open up. The stalk is placed in the crevice of a rock, and there is nothing touching the bottom heads (i.e. they're not resting on the rock).

Also, I'm worried about the rotting tissue causing unnecessary problems with water quality, bacteria, etc., but I'm also afraid to try to move this big colony to try to frag the dead heads. The last thing I need is to shatter the colony or to risk damaging nearby heads. I feel like sometimes, it's best to leave them be, unbothered.

Finally, I did frag this colony once, where I split it into two (somewhat accidentally). The one I'm having a problem with now is the 30-headed one, but I also have a 15-or-so-headed colony as well. Since I split them up about 4 months ago, both halves have grown like crazy, where I now have at least 10 new baby heads on each half. The 15-headed colony is fine, no dying heads yet. However, it's also not spherical. I've got other colonies of hammer and frog, but they're not spherical either, and not quite as large (largest is about 10 heads), and I've got no sort of problems with the others either. So, my last question is: is it more beneficial to frag the colony, so that there's less crowding and competition amongst the heads? I really like the look of one large colony, but if I'm going to keep losing heads here and there, I'd much rather chop them up to have several, smaller, but healthier colonies.

It's just very frustrating, since I just lost three conjoined heads that were about to split into three independent heads. And now, every time there are heads that aren't fully open for one reason or another, I stress out about it and can't stop staring at it, inspecting it, and obsessing over it.

Thanks for the help.

In terms of skimming, I've got a Remora Pro, which is a bit too much for my tank, and I very rarely need to empty the collection cup. In terms of feeding them, I target feed them mysis shrimp, about 2 tsp worth for the whole tank, once a week.

Typically, the really big and older Euphyllia colonies I've seen are pretty uniformly healthy. Granted it's big, but it could be dipped in a betadine solution.
Fragging it shouldn't have any impact, those smaller heads will take advantage of more light. But...there have been colonies I've seen that had to be fragged in order to be removed. Fragging it for shape takes work, but you may be able to chip here and there.

You could closely inspect and experiment with treatment by fragging a few of the receding heads off. I would run fresh carbon as a first step. Your skimmer may need a cleaning, but your not running a monster skimmer that rips out everything.

"My question is... Is this because the lower heads are not receiving ideal amounts of light and/or water flow? "

Simple answer,Yes.
I used to have the same thing happen to my large branching frogspawn.
But,when I got 2 250 watt halides over the tank,light wasn't an issue.
It sits semi-shaded by a huge orange cap on the sand bed.
Just frag the bottom heads,make a little cash,and keep a healthy mother colony.

In terms of skimming, I've got a Remora Pro, which is a bit too much for my tank, and I very rarely need to empty the collection cup. In terms of feeding them, I target feed them mysis shrimp, about 2 tsp worth for the whole tank, once a week.

I wouldn't say a bit much.
IMO,2 tablespoons out of a 75 gallon weekly would suggest something is wrong with the skimmer.But this all depends on your bioload,really.

stingythingy, what did you find to be the best way to frag such a large colony? Sometimes it's just so hard trying to hold the colony and frag heads by yourself, while trying not to damage anything. And then once you change the shape of the colony, it's a PITA to try to find a place to put it back so that it balances just right...

I wouldn't say a bit much.
IMO,2 tablespoons out of a 75 gallon weekly would suggest something is wrong with the skimmer.But this all depends on your bioload,really.

Sorry, just need a clarification. I feed 2 teaspoons of mysis shrimp each week, and has nothing to do with the skimmer collection. And I don't have much of a bioload, with a 75 gal with no fish, just LPS and some softies.

stingythingy, what did you find to be the best way to frag such a large colony? Sometimes it's just so hard trying to hold the colony and frag heads by yourself, while trying not to damage anything. And then once you change the shape of the colony, it's a PITA to try to find a place to put it back so that it balances just right...

I have a few dead heads that I keep on the bottom to help prop up the main colony,like a kick stand.:rolleyes:
I usually snip a 1/3 off when I go in for fragging(4-6 heads).I use my Boston Aquarist stainless steel snippers.Just find a branch that will leave 2/3 and snip there.
The newly cut section will remain on the sand bed,propped up by a shell or something.Tonga branch is good for propping up as well.

Sorry, just need a clarification. I feed 2 teaspoons of mysis shrimp each week, and has nothing to do with the skimmer collection. And I don't have much of a bioload, with a 75 gal with no fish, just LPS and some softies.

Wow,no fish?Sounds a bit placid for me.;)
I've never really target fed the frogspawn.But I will occasionally feed mysis and frozen cyclopeeze on that side of the tank.The coral probably gets any food the fish miss.

Yeah, I'm a bit scared to add fish to the tank, to tell you the truth... Don't want to throw anything off of balance cuz I've had such great luck with just the LPSs.

But I'm going to take your advice and go frag the big dude.

I've seen that before, and was actually wondering if they've had any similar issues with overcrowding... But now that I'm re-watching the video, it doesn't appear that the colony is growing spherically, so there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of heads growing on the underside. That thing is so cool! And is that colony a wall and not a branching? And does it appear as though the bottom was live at one point but has died off? And how do you frag a wall hammer?

Back